Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Uninstall Problem...PLEASE HELP ME...

by Quasar3210 / March 10, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

Hello all,

I am trying to get my Friends new Compaq laptop up and running. It came with a Norton Internet Security 60 day Free Trial. They currently have a subscription to Trend Micro Pc-cillin 2007 and want to add it to the new laptop.

I have tried Uninstalling it via add/remove programs. It says it was completely removed. I then tried to install Trend Micro, however when that runs we get an error message that says "a fatal windows error has occured please restart your computer and try again"

Then from searching thru this forum I found out about the Norton Removal tool. We downloaded and ran that and it found other things to remove. Once it was completed we tried to install Trend Micro again but still get the same error message.

At this time we are running a full system restore to bring the Laptop back to out of the box condition. Has anyone had this happen before, and are there any steps I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Uninstall Problem...PLEASE HELP ME...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Uninstall Problem...PLEASE HELP ME...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It May Not Be Norton Causing The Problem..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 9:44 AM PDT

If it's a Windows error being listed, it may be a faulty Windows file and not Norton.. A Recovery back to factory state is a good suggestion..

ONce there, remove Norton from the Add/Remove Programs section.. (Check for other Norton items as well, such as "Live Update", etc. and remove them all.) Once that's done, then use the Norton Removal tool and when that's done, attempt to install the Trend Micro program..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Tried everything you said problem remains.
by Quasar3210 / March 10, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

Hi Grif,

Thanks for the suggestion, We have done system restore to go back to box fresh again and ran the removal tool after doing the add/remove programs and it seems to be gone. Unfortunately the windows error remains. Any ideas on what to look for or to find out what windows file is bad?

Collapse -
Is this Vista?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 9:59 AM PDT

I can't count the install errors on ours. Try turning off UAC.

Collapse -
by Quasar3210 / March 10, 2008 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this Vista?

Sorry, I can't believe I forgot that part. Yes it is running Windows Vista Home Premium. I apologize though, I do not know what UAC is or how to turn it on or off.

Collapse -
This should help..
by Carol~ Moderator / March 10, 2008 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoops
Collapse -
It worked flawlessly
by Quasar3210 / March 10, 2008 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: This should help..

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... Turned off UAC, and Trend micro installed right away. Problem is solved.

Collapse -
(NT) No doubt those responsible (Grif & Bob) would be pleased! :)
by Carol~ Moderator / March 10, 2008 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked flawlessly
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?