Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Security Suite 2006

by kaosv1 / March 1, 2007 5:02 AM PST

I bought my first computer a year ago and bought and installed the above,which has extras compared to just norton anti virus.The subscription has run out now and I had decided to dowbnload avast instead as i had read good reviews on here.My problem is,when I installed avast it said that there was a norton scanner running and so therefore it had disabled its own scanner as obviously you cannot have 2 anti virus running together.What has confused me is I thought that as my subscription had run out norton would no longer be working on my computer.I understand that it wont update anymore without the subscription renewal,but what exactly is still working on my computer?is it the extra things that come with norton?do i need to keep norton installed because of these,or am I just best to uninstall norton altogether?if so is avast a good complete replacement or do i need something else aswell? i have a few antispyware programmes loaded so am happy with protection for that.i have windows xp,thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Security Suite 2006
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Security Suite 2006
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton Security Suite
by Carol~ Moderator / March 1, 2007 6:06 AM PST

Hi Fran..

If you've decided to use Avast, there's no need to have Norton on your system. You asked if you 'need to keep norton installed because of the extra things'. The answer is no. I would suggest going to Add/Remove and uninstall all Norton and Symantec entries - to include Live Update if it's there. I don't use Norton, but you might want to also check the Control Panel. Again, anything Norton or Symantec can be removed.

In addition, you can download Norton's Removal Tool. It should help you get rid of anything that's left.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=do%2

If you're still getting alerts from Avast, after removing Norton, post back. There are other things you can try.

Good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Norton
by kaosv1 / March 1, 2007 6:22 AM PST

Hi again Carol,
Thanks for that I'll do as you say,any problems I'll let you know.
Thanks again
Fran

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome, as always.
by Carol~ Moderator / March 1, 2007 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Norton
Collapse -
Carol,
by kaosv1 / March 1, 2007 7:23 AM PST

All seems ok,one query,had firewall with norton,is windows firewall a good replacement,or is there a better one?
Thanks
Fran

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear, Fran
by Carol~ Moderator / March 1, 2007 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Carol,

Fran..

I don't feel comfortable giving you advice about Firewalls. The only thing I can tell you.. is that Windows Firewall has its' limitiations. Perhaps this article on What Windows Firewall Does and Does Not Do will help you make your own decision. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page.) My advice is just "another opinion". Personally, I think it depends upon your situtation. And not knowing what it is, I tend to think you might be better off with a third party firewall.

I've read totally contradictory posts at the forums. [url=
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=215116&messageID=2297186#2297186
]One where someone feels it's sufficient for 99% of the people. It's been my experience, from what I've read, this may not be the case. Some feel Kerio is good. Other's ZoneAlarm. I can't say I know much about either of them, as I don't use them. It might help you form an opinion by reading what Grif had to say about Windows Firewall. It might also help to use the search feature on the top of the page. You'll probably get more opinions, than you care to read about. And not doubt, if you post asking about firewalls, you'll get even more. (If it were me, I'd go by the advice, I've trusted in the past.)

Sorry I can't be of more help. Sad
Carol

Collapse -
Carol
by kaosv1 / March 1, 2007 10:06 PM PST

No problem,I'll read some more about firewalls on here,thanks a lot.
Fran

Collapse -
Firewalls
by Jelly Baby / March 5, 2007 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Carol

I'd suggest trying the free version of Zonealarm - it seems to use a lot less of your systems resources than some of the others, has a fairly short "learning" period and doesn't bother you with too many alarm notifications.
If you use a "proper" broadband router(not a USB version)and connect to it either wirelessly or through ethernet networking - it might have a firewall running already.
Getting rid of Norton is something I would always advise - it seems to cause more problems than it cures! But getting rid of it completey can take a bit of doing. Persevere - it's worth it!

Collapse -
Firewalls and Nortons
by biglittle1 / March 5, 2007 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Firewalls

As applies to Nortons, there are so many hidden files that it puts on your system, the best way, if you are removing it completely, is to do the Add/Remove or the Nortons Removal Tool. Then go to your System Search and type in Symantec. Then delete everything that comes up with that in the title.

Collapse -
Thanks,
by kaosv1 / March 5, 2007 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Firewalls and Nortons

for both your replies, i had decided to go ahead with Zone Alarm after reading reports on here,so glad you think its a good idea too!I will also try system search to make sure all of norton has gone.
Thanks again

Collapse -
Cant delete files.
by kaosv1 / March 5, 2007 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks,

I have done a system search and it found 8 files with symantec,but i could only delete 2 of them.Any ideas what i can do?

Collapse -
That is the reason for the Norton removal
by roddy32 / March 5, 2007 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Cant delete files.
Collapse -
Well,
by kaosv1 / March 5, 2007 11:50 PM PST

I had forgotten to do that,so have done it now,but when I do system search I am still finding the following:a Symantec shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files and when I try to delete it, it says: cannot delete symlcnet.dll.Access is denied.Make sure the disk is not full or write-protectd and that the file is not currently in use'
Is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks

Collapse -
That is a "shared" folder. There are other
by roddy32 / March 6, 2007 12:07 AM PST

things in there that you need probably. Have you tried installing whatever program you decided to install or are you still having problems with that. I have not been involved in this thread since the beginning so I am not really sure that it is that you are trying to do without reading the whole thread which I don't have time for. Normally, that tool works for everything that actually has to get removed.

Collapse -
Fran.. Have you tried ..
by Carol~ Moderator / March 6, 2007 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Cant delete files.

Have you tried deleting the symlcnet.dll in Safe Mode? It's certainly worth a try.

Carol

Collapse -
I have installed
by kaosv1 / March 6, 2007 12:24 AM PST

Zone Alarm and Avast as alternatives to Norton,my original question was did i need any part of the norton security suite,other than the anti virus,which i had decided not to renew and carol said i was best to get rid of norton altogether,so that is what i have been trying to do,but i am left with this one file

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?