I have an:
AMD K-6 2/300
PC CHIPS Motherboard
American Megatrends Bios V 1.47
160 Mb of SDRAM (PC 66)
120 Gb 8mb memory Seagate 7200 rpm Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 video card
SB512 Soundwave audio card

I downloaded the Norton's Internet Security, which my ISP provides me. During the download I had to have on my Sygate 5.6 firewall and used my Spyguard and Spyware Blaster, as usually do when on the internet.

I had to go through a registration process on line with the Norton's even though I had the Norton's CD my ISP supplied me.

While my Norton's Antivirus works well, my Norton's Internet Security does not(it will not activate the security firewall--even when I turn off my Sygate). Is there any reason for this to happen? Could it be that using the Sygate and the Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard corrupted my Norton's Internet Security during Installation?

Does it require that I do a repeat install? everything worked well with the Norton's Live Update by the way....I am fully up to date with the updates.

Thanks for your help,
Jesse Jr.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton's Internet Security Downloaded but does not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton's Internet Security Downloaded but does not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton's Internet Security Downloaded but does not work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 7:29 PM PST

Having 2 or more firewalls installed on a computer "may" cause conflicts, but I have never heard of one firewall preventing another from being turned on. Perhaps others can give more information on this.

But what messages do you get when you try to turn on Norton's firewall? What actually happens when you try?

Two more points;

Is your Windows XP firewall on as well? Either the pre-SP2 firewall, or if you have SP2 installed the newer SP2 firewall? SP2 is the important security upgrade for windows. If so, you should turn it off.

And, although you say you have turned off Sygate, it may be that it is still running in the background. Whenever you start up your computer the Sygate firewall should be one of the first programs to run in the background, even "before" Windows loads up. This is to give you maximum protection from hackers in that dangerous period when your connection to the internet, (broadband users), is established before Windows fully loads. Even if you don't have broadband, the Sygate background protection starts up.

When you disable a firewall from it's program in Windows, either from the system tray icon or elsewhere, this background protection is still running.

So, if it is Sygate that is preventing Norton's firewall from loading, (and again I say I have never heard of this), you may have to uninstall Sygate, completely before attempting to load up Norton's firewall.

If you did want to try that, you should not do so unless you are disconnected from the internet. If that doesn't work, I expect you can always re-install your Sygate progam.

Mark

Collapse -
by SoftGuitar / November 27, 2004 12:38 AM PST

Mark,

I do not have either SP1 or SP2 installed as yet since I have had to un-install then re-install Windows XP several times.

So you may be right that even then there is a firewall. In fact, I know there is because when I go to my Network Connections I can tell that the Online ADSL connection I have says it is "firewalled" when I connect. So there indeed maybe two different firewalls....one for Windows XP and the other the Sygate...and Norton's does not even stand a chance with these two operating already.

I saw on another discussion the request for a "HijackThis" read out so I went and downloaded "HighJackThis" and here is the read out if it helps you anybit at all:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 5:19:57 PM, on 11/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JESSEG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ZCTmp.Dir\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse Gomez Jr\Desktop\My Download Programs\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IS CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\cfgwiz.exe /GUID NIS /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\DOCUME~1\JESSEG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ZCTmp.Dir\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1101339834772
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

THANKS for your help. I really need to get the Norton's working just so I know that it is operable. I would gladly use it over Sygate or the Windows XP firewall if it is better in your opinion.

Gratefully Yours,
Jesse Jr.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 5:06 AM PST

I have to defer to the advice Bob (Proffitt) gave on this.

Also, sorry but I don't know enough about HiJackThis logs to give you any meaningful comments.

However, if you have paid for NIS and don't wan to give up on it just yet, why not try disabling the Windows firewall first, and see if that allows the NIS firewall to run. If not, disconnect from the internet, uninstall Sygate and try again.

If neither works, re-install sygate, or re-enable the Windows firewall, re-connect to the internet, then go the ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG 7 route.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 5:52 AM PST

The rules changed as the Windows versions evolved. Read the memory articles at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm to see why memory optimizers are no longer viable.

Bob

Collapse -
I just uninstalled the freeram XP Pro......
by omerta2177 / December 28, 2004 6:41 AM PST

I don't think that it does much of what it says. I feel it offers a lot of false positives as we watch the little bars go up and down in terms of RAM. What tips are out there on optimizing our memory that actually work. I checked out the windows support website and read some of the articles but what I got from most of the articles is that optimizing your computer can be done in the MSCONFIG option that we can pull up in the RUN menu. Those resources are the things that take up most of the memory and we can control them. WHat is your take on this issue?

Collapse -
My take? Simple works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2004 7:19 AM PST

I see hundreds of machines a month. But remember I only get to the worst of the lot since "Tech" does the usual removal of pests, spyware and junk software enhancements since we have a list...

If you talk "resources" then you may still be transitioning from the bad old dos windows days.

If you want to trim the footprint or waistline (girth) of XP, then you read the Optimizing Windows articles as well as Black Viper's fine work.

But I do find people over-optimize then complain that "things aren't working".

In closing, the biggest issue for 2005 will be SPYWARE and the continued exploitation of Internet Explorer.

Bob

Collapse -
AMD K-6 2/300 unlikely to have XP support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 12:40 AM PST

I'd call this one what it is and try to deal with what issues you can when you can.

It's highly unlikely XP SP2 will ever run proper on this computer so my advice is to just toss Norton, install Zone Alarm, Free AVG 7 and move on.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: AMD K-6 2/300 unlikely to have XP support.
by SoftGuitar / November 27, 2004 12:55 AM PST

Robert,

Thanks for the advice. I Would use the AVG if I could find it. They no longer have it on webattack. Where can one locate it?

Jesse Jr.

Collapse -
Free AVG 7... easy to find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 2:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?