Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Norton Problem

by lablover / March 10, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

I just installed Norton Internet Security 2008. No problems with install on ths Win XP Home SP 2 PC.
Now when I visit some sites, I'm getting more pop-up ads than ever before. This is with both IE 6 and current version of Firefox.

Did Norton remove pop-up ad blocking in the new version I installed?
Or is this a bug?

What freeware is available for blocking pop-ups, that works with Norton and the OS?

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Popup Ads
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton Problem

Have you checked the settings in Norton's main control panel?

Firefox has it's own popup blocker in Tools > Options > Contents tab, and IE7 has a popup blocker in Tools. I'm not sure about IE6.

Mark

Collapse -
Firefox options
by lablover / March 10, 2008 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Popup Ads

The Firefox options in Tools, are all on.
I don't really understand most of the options specified but I have taken the default option. Unless I know it's something I want.

Sorry to be so vague.

Collapse -
Norton doesn't catch all spyware. Try this free scan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 10:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Norton Internet Security 2008
by Michael_York / March 11, 2008 6:07 AM PDT

Hi Lablover,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team. As another poster had mentioned, there are now pop-up blocking features included with Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3. If you are receiving a bunch of pop-ups, then you should check your settings, and also make sure that LiveUpdate is set to Automatic. Lastly, you will want to run a Full System Scan with Norton internet Security in Windows Safe Mode.

To check you settings, please follow these steps.

1. Click Start->All Programs->Norton Internet Security, and then choose Norton internet Security from the sub-menu.

2. Click on the "Norton Internet Security" tab at the top of the window.

3. Click on "Settings" to expand the options.

4. Under the "Basic Security" tab, make sure that it says "On" next to "Automatic LiveUpdate.

5. Click on "Web Browsing," and then click on "Personal Firewall," and make sure it says "On."

6. Click on "Intrusion Prevention," and make sure it says 'On."

7. Click on "Spyware Protection," and make sure it says "On."

8. In the left pane of the window, click on "Run LiveUpdate." LiveUpdate will run and download and install any available program and definition files. After it is finished, you may be prompted to restart. After restarting, please manually run LiveUpdate again.

After you have completed checking the settings, close the Norton Internet Security window. Next, boot your computer into Safe Mode and run a Full System Scan.

Please try these steps and let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
Thanks Mike
by lablover / March 11, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

I did items 1 thru 7 and they were all "ON".
I did get an automatic update earlier this evening, and it was installed with no problems, and I rebooted as it suggested.
I'll now run liveupdate again and do a scan.

Not sure I know how to do a safe mode reboot. Can you explain please.

Collapse -
Mike from Norton
by lablover / March 11, 2008 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mike

Mike,

I ran Liveupdate again but I was current. Ran another scan and it found nothing.

Collapse -
Just to let you know, Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Mike from Norton
Collapse -
Are you still getting pop-ups?
by Michael_York / March 12, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Mike from Norton

Hi lablover,

Are you still receiving the pop-ups? If so, are you certain that the Pop-Up Blocker in IE or Firefox is set? Please check this setting.

Sometimes infections can only be detected while you are booted into Safe Mode. The link the Mark provided shows the correct steps to booting into Safe Mode using F8. Like he mentions, the scan will most likely take a longer period of time, but it is the best way to approach an issue such as this if your initial scan did not detect anything. I would also recommend that you clear out all Temporary internet files and cookies in your browsers prior to running the Full system Scan in Safe Mode.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
Big Annoying Popup Problems with Norton now
by OneHeart11 / May 14, 2008 1:11 AM PDT

I am having the same problems that the op describes. I never got popups till I downloaded the new Norton upgrades yesterday. All my settings are 'On' and Live Updates are current: and I am uncomfortable fiddling with anything in 'safe' mode. Something is definately screwy with this Norton. Never had a problem with Norton till now.

Collapse -
Re: popups
by Kees Bakker / May 14, 2008 1:15 AM PDT

Firefox has a popup blocker (Tools>Options>Contents). IE7 comes with a popup-blocker. IE6 hadn't, indeed. Why not switch to IE7?

Do you have a few examples of sites with such a pop-up?

Kees

Collapse -
Got IE7
by OneHeart11 / May 14, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: popups

I have got IE7 and xp2. Settings are "on'.

NOne of this happened till I downloaded the new upgraded Norton.

Here is a site with multiple popups that never were there till now. There used to be one ad that was always blocked. http://s14.invisionfree.com/Dream_Expedition/

I also did an fix scan in Norton which said my physhing tookbar was missing and it fixed it just now. No toolbar shows up though.

What a headache.

Collapse -
(NT) No popup here on that link.
by Kees Bakker / May 14, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Got IE7
Collapse -
Strange. One popup is always there - but use to be blocked.
by OneHeart11 / May 14, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

Four regular members of that forum are experiencing it - as well as me. Two of us just upgraded Norton. I have asking the others members if they did the same.

Strange you got NO popup. One is always there which is usually blocked. The others are brand new since the Norton upgrade.

Collapse -
Norton Internet Security 2008 and Firefox 3
by _corsair / May 20, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

Hi Mike...

I noticed that in your post you mentioned Firefox 3. I have Firefox 3 RC1 installed and I've noticed that the NIS protection toolbar is not available in Firefox 3.

It was available in Firefox 2.

Is Symantec waiting for Firefox 3 final version before adding compatibility; or am I missing something?

My NIS 2008 install is fully updated.

Thanks, Pete

Collapse -
Norton Toolbar
by Michael_York / May 21, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

Hi Pete,

The Norton toolbar for Firefox is not yet supported for Firefox 3 beta. When the final version is released it will be supported and most likely distributed through LiveUpdate.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
NIS 2008 and Firefox 3
by _corsair / May 21, 2008 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Toolbar

Thanks Mike... I'll look for that when Firefox 3 Final is released.

Pete

Collapse -
Firefox 3 and Norton ISS
by rkirkcaldy / July 8, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.