Computer Help forum

General discussion

Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

I'm working with a Gateway 500, Windows 98, Small Business Edition 2000. I have 256 MB of memory and 14G harddrive.

We use cable connection for our internet so I have the above firewall protection along with Norton SystemWorks 2003.

As I've mentioned in other posts, there is more than one user on this computer and unfortunately I know enough to get me in trouble but another user doesn't know anything so he STAYS in trouble!!

For some reason, we are constantly getting the Program Control alert window, which indicates "a remote system is attempting to access your computer". This window displays Norton Personal Firewall in the title bar and shows the time, date, protocol, remote address and choice of what I want to do within the window. I have looked everywhere to try to figure out how to keep this window from popping up because I can get ten of these within seconds and it's very annoying.

The Personal Firewall didn't used to do this and I don't understand what has changed to cause it to start doing this. All I'm interested in is being alerted if a "Trojan" etc. tries to get into my computer and knowing I'm protected with a good system but I certainly get tired of this alert popping up constantly.

If anyone uses Norton PF &/or AV (because for the money you pay, you certainly don't get any support), could you please advise! Thanks so much in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

In reply to: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

Many firewalls are "alarmists." For your firewall software division to show more "success" you may set it to popup on every ping from the outside world even if there was no real threat.

You should adjust the alert settings for the firewall as you see fit.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: NPFirewall 2004 - Program Control Alert - Don't Recall

In reply to: Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

That's the problem. I don't recall making a change and all of a sudden I get Program Control Alerts like crazy.

I've tried to do what I thought would adjust by unchecking the Automatic Program Control but it didn't really make a difference. Obviously this is in the recesses of the program somewhere and I haven't figured out where to go to get the alerts turned off.

As long as it is doing it's job, I don't need to know but I haven't been able to determine where that setting is that will make the alert pop ups go away. And I've tried to see if this is in the FAQ but didn't find anything.

I've also done a program scan and set most to permit all with only a few that I wasn't sure of to automatic and that didn't help either.

If anyone knows about the settings with NPF, I'd be eternally grateful for your help in getting rid of this pesty alerts. I preferred the occasional alert about "trojan attacks" but I haven't seen one of this in a while. Probably because it can't alert for all the other ALERTS!!! Thanks.

Collapse -
Symantec updates...

In reply to: Re: NPFirewall 2004 - Program Control Alert - Don't Recall

In short, Symantec autoupdates may have triggered this.

Keep looking around the controls.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Symantec updates...

In reply to: Symantec updates...

Well, Bob, I've just spent the past two hours doing just that, and I've got exactly the same problem. So if you don't know the answer, don't bother posting a reply so that those who do know don't think someone who knows something have already responded.

Collapse -
For tobo.

In reply to: Re: Symantec updates...

Best wishes on your journey.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

In reply to: Norton Personal Firewall 2004 - Program Control Alert

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!