PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton LiveUpdate Problems

by GovernmentMan / November 25, 2004 4:58 PM PST

I recently developed a problem with my LiveUpdate program. It doesn't list all the Symantec programs on my computer. It lists:

> IDS Program Updates
> LiveUpdate
> Norton AntiVirus
> Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions
> Norton WMI Update
> Symantec Redirector
> Symantec Security Response Submission Software Updates

I should be getting many more things listed. For example, Norton Internet Security. I went to the support area, and they gave me the following options:

1. Reinstall LiveUpdate - Tried it.

2. Reinstall my Norton Products - Not an option; a have an OEM, the product came pre-installed in the factory.

I have the 2003 version, and live support for those products has been discontinued. Can anyone else help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton LiveUpdate Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton LiveUpdate Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton LiveUpdate Problems
by glb613 / November 25, 2004 7:08 PM PST

Factory installed or trial versions of Norton are only good for a period of time. Usually it is 60 days. After that time if you don't pay to extend your service, it stops.

If you did pay to extend your service, you should have an activation or product key number. Here is a site that might help you.

Collapse -
Re: Norton LiveUpdate Problems
by GovernmentMan / November 28, 2004 4:22 AM PST

1. I have paid.
2. I went there, and the only problem it said I have is an expired version of Norton Products, and that I must order Norton 2005.

Collapse -
Read this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2004 11:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Read this discussion.
by GovernmentMan / November 28, 2004 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Read this discussion.

I have paid. The program itself says my subscription is good through May 2005.

Collapse -
Re: Read this discussion.
by glb613 / November 28, 2004 6:20 AM PST

Have you been to the web site and looked through the FAQs and other support? If installing live update didn't work, I'm not sure where to look next.

One suggestion, uninstall then reinstall the software if you have the upgrade activation number. The computers I've bought with Norton factory installed came with a CD as well. If you don't have the CD, see if you can downlod a new copy with a valid paid subscription.

One problem with Norton, and some will say just one of many, is their tech support calls are $35 each. You can buy a new program for that. I wish I had more answers. Perhaps someone else will have a better solution.

Collapse -
You can fight it if you wish...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 6:29 AM PST

If I have the Norton CD, I can try an uninstall, the use of RNAV2003 (or such) and then a reinstall. But if it fails why should I spend hours on this one. You can keep reading post after post after post about this or just change horses.

Look at AVAST or AVG.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?