Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Norton Live Update Error

by Sheila / April 2, 2005 3:24 AM PST

Hi, I have used Norton for 5 years. I haven't had too many problems over the years. Now, I have tried to use the Live Update and I get an error message....
Error your latest virus protection updates are not valid. Norton Antivirus will load an older set of virus protection updates. please use Live Update to download and install latest set." in the lower-left corner of the window, you see the numbers (3030,4004)

I ran Live Update again.

"LU1806, or LU1817,or LU1816 that it was not able to install any of the updates that you selected."

It is a virus definition that I was trying to update.

That error was listed as"LU6004: Live Update did not complete successfully. Due to a ttansmission error, or one or more Live Update components failed internal authentication. Please run Live Update again. If the error persistes, contact your network administrator or Live Update provider". I ran Live Update 3 times already.

I went to the possible solutions...I went to the Symantec website and used the tech support.Symantec scanned my computer and said "Windows was in Audit Mode. Audit Mode should have been removed before it was sent from the manufacturer." Instructions were given to edit the Registry and remove the "Audit in Progress...that item is NOT listed....then delete Audit Mode..that item IS listed. it stated that Audit Mode will prevent updates from installing. I never had that problem in 5 years.

Also instructions were to delete Live Update settings, and change Live Update from Express mode to Interactive Mode.

I am really, really, unsure about all of this. I don't know what I am supposed to do. I am waiting on email from Symantec on the solution.

I hope someone can help me, maybe by telling me which method I should use, or to just forget Norton and get another Antivirus product. I do keep my subscription up to date.

Thanks,
Sheila

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Live Update Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Live Update Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Info on Operating system
by Sheila / April 2, 2005 3:30 AM PST

I forgot this info. Sorry

Emachine OEM
98 SE/ IE 5.50/ OE 5/ Internet Access 5.4
56 k
533MHz
64 mb
128 kb
NAV2005

Collapse -
What version is Norton?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 3:30 AM PST

The reason I ask is some versions show this error since Symantec doesn't offer updates anymore.

Bob

Collapse -
Purchased in 2005
by Sheila / April 2, 2005 3:32 AM PST

Bob,I always buy the current version retail. I bought and installed in Jan 2005.
Sheila

Collapse -
Thanks for filling in the blank.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Purchased in 2005

I see you posted that info as I asked.

Liveupdate errors are nutty to fix. My method is to uninstall NAV, reinstall and then update it.

Bob

Collapse -
OK...
by Sheila / April 2, 2005 3:50 AM PST

I will try Uninstalling and reinstalling. I had thought about that earlier, but it sounded too simple.

I'll do that and report back in a while.
Sheila

Collapse -
Idiosyncrasies
by AussiePete / April 3, 2005 10:36 PM PDT

Norton has it's fair share of idiosyncrasies and if these are not know things can go horribly wrong. I can help you through these problems but I need you to acknowledge viewing my posting. It is involved and thus I need to know I have your attention.
Basically, you need to uninstall Norton antivirus
as well as live update and live reg - then run a program from Norton to make sure you have completely deleted it from your system - Then reinstall Antivirus but before anything else manually download update versions of live reg and live update.
The first thing is to run live reg to register and then you should be able to run antivirus and live update. If you read this let me know and I will elaborate.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
I'm paying attention Aussie Pete
by Sheila / April 4, 2005 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Idiosyncrasies

I have already deleted Live Update files, ran Live Update again, and received the same error message.

I will watch for your posts.

Thanks,
Sheila

Collapse -
Sheila, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
No Grif, but...
by Sheila / April 4, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

I just googled and found a site to Uninstall Norton. I did what was suggested. I just finished reinstalling and was just connecting to the Internet to activate and I saw the topic reply in my mail.

I will look at the info that you suggested. First I will try to activate the newly reinstalled version.

Later,
Sheila

Collapse -
Update on Live Update....
by Sheila / April 4, 2005 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: No Grif, but...

I think I have it working. It installed everything without any errors. This is the website I used and I followed the instructions.

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/helpdesk/win/nav/uninstallnav.html

Griff, the site info you recommended....I had already been there earlier researching solutions. Thanks anyway.

I am going to bed now. I hope the doggone thing is working OK tomorrow.

Thanks to All,
Sheila

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sheila, Good Job and Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 1:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for that Grif
by AussiePete / April 4, 2005 11:20 PM PDT

Didn't know that one - knew there had been some changes to their update/reg system, but not the specifics - seems symantec have finally got "intelligent" - all they are now doing was what people had to do manually for ages ie update before running update!!!
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Peter, I've Always Preferred Manual Updating
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that Grif

Although it's not for everyone because most users tend to "forget" to update, I've always preferred a manual update to an "automatic update". You never know what "automatic" is going to throw at your machine. At least a manual updater file allows you to close all background programs before installing..

In my case, I have very few problems with manual updaters.

It's just my personal preference.

Grif

Collapse -
Pete, This is Symantec's explanation of
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that Grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!