Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton IS 2008 & Spyware doctor

by bjennings77 / May 15, 2008 9:33 PM PDT

hey guys, how r u? hope u r all doing fine
i have this Q that is bugging me and i hope u can help me
i have Norton IS 2008 and spyware doctor (without the anti virus engine) and i was wondering if i can have both of the Norton IS and the Spyware doctor with the anti virus engine!
i read somewhere that it's bad to have 2 anti-virus engines on the same PC but i dont know f that applies to spyware doctor anti virus engine since tz not one of the big cats in the ANTI VIRUS world!
so if any1 knows an answer 2 my Q which is (can i have Norton IS 2008 and Spyware doctor with anti virus engine on the same PC?) i'll be thankful 2 hm/her
have a nice day
thanks in advance
bye

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton IS 2008 & Spyware doctor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton IS 2008 & Spyware doctor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not recommended to use 2 antivirus
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

Norton IS and Spyware Doctor will work. See post #5 at their forum:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50431

Do not use SD with antivirus if you want to continue using Norton IS. Not recommended. Your PC might experience instability and their real-time protection might interfere when detecting and scanning in realtime.

Collapse -
thanks donna
by bjennings77 / May 16, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

thanks alot donna 4 ur help, i already have Norton IS and SD and they r running nice and smooth with no problems
i was hoping i can have both of Norton IS and SD with anti virus so i can have more security on my PC but i guess "tough luck" Silly
anyway thanks alot again

Collapse -
You're welcome!
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2008 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks donna

2 antivirus program (with realtime protection) will not add security Happy

You can try to visit online scanners like Housecall, ESET Online scanner if you want to know if your Norton failed to detect anything.

You can add layer of defense. Example:
1. HOSTS file (3rd party)
2. Antimalware or antispyware scanner
3. Monitoring tool like WinPatrol - http://www.winpatrol.com (because not all antivirus or antimalware scanners will detect changes on system when visiting a website)

Collapse -
since we are talking and talking
by bjennings77 / May 16, 2008 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome!

thanks again 4 all ur help donna, u seem like u know what u r talking about so if i am allowed 2 ask u if u think that having Norton IS 2008 and SD is good protection for my PC
i have Spybot Search & Destroy (no realtime protection) and also i have WINDOWS DEFENDER (i have windows vista ultimate)
u think my PC is protected good by Norton and Spyware Doctor?

Collapse -
Depending on your computing habit
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

In my humble opinion... as long as the user practise safe computing, a computer and the personal data of a user will be safe and secure.

Antivirus, antispam, antispyware, firewall are tools only which helps prevent what is known to them to detect, block or remove but they are not the first defense.

First defense is the us. We need to be careful in browsing, clicking, downloading, viewing, reading, executing (and listening also!) Happy

2nd defense is install the security tools.

3rd defense is keep the system and tools up-to-date. Applies to casual or heavy surfers. I find unpatched system and tools as gateway to risk so I hope you have a patched system and applications.

4th defense is scan the system. Let the tools do their job to determine if there's something for them to handle.

Sorry if I have to write the above instead of answering your question only Grin

But I think your PC will be protected if the above is accomplished.
And because you have a trustworthy programs.. that should help also in keeping your PC protected.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks and thanks
by bjennings77 / May 16, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

thanks Donna 4 everything, u said "computing habits" and if u r talking about my habits then my PC will never ever get infected with anything Silly
but i had a tough lesson that tought me that never take anything 4 grandated, and t was that i fomratted my PC and when i started installing my programs back i discovered that all the icons and programs inside "start are GONE!! i thought t was the version of the windows so i re-formatted t....and the same happened again
i kept formatting and formatting for about 10-15 times in 3 days period and then i finally found that one of the programs i install has a SPYWARE in t that kicks in once i double click on the .exe file of that program and Norton didnt detect t coz i starting installing programs before updating t
but then i formatted my PC for the last time, updated norton and started installing my programs and when i installed that program a norton msg poped telling me that some spyware infection was blocked!!
so after that i started 2 have "malware phobia" Silly so i started looking for the best protection program ever, i heard so many ppl talking about NORTON isn't that good but am NORTON TO THE BONES Silly
so right now am looking for "wingmen" programs Silly for my norton
so sorry 4 talking ur head off with my boring story Silly
thanks again 4 everything, YOU ROCK Wink

Collapse -
Glad to know that Norton alerted you
by Donna Buenaventura / May 16, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks and thanks

That save your time in reformatting again and again and again.

I used to reformat often (whenever I'm not happy with my system's state).
Not anymore when I decided to install Acronis True Image (a backup software). I regulary run a full backup a good system state. This save time in re-installing and configuring because restoring to latest backup is very easy (few minutes only).
I hope you will consider using a backup software like True Image, Norton Ghost, Image for Windows etc..

Collapse -
am running out of "thanks"
by bjennings77 / May 16, 2008 8:37 AM PDT

u r going 2 make me run out of "thanks" words coz u keep giving me advices and helpful info Grin
thanks alot 4 ur great idea about backing up my windows in a good state, i'll think i'll do t but not soon, coz tz been only 4 weeks since the "15 times formatting" era Silly
anyway, thanks alot Donna u have been more than helpful, i owe u Wink

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome! Hope to see you often here :)
by Donna Buenaventura / May 20, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Safe
by meepo97-22313731183197971 / May 20, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

It is safe to use SD with NIS.
You could have as many anti spyware programs on your PC without it crashing. Just never more than 1 AntiVirus!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?