PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton ghost 2003 problem

by jerkputter / December 24, 2008 1:12 PM PST

I was going to back up my computer using 2003 ghost. I put a DVD in the drive and made the mistake of clicking restore instead of backup.The computer restarted and now I get error message> missing operating system < . I booted the computer with my XP-Pro disk and it shows that C drive is now E. How can I make it C again where it will boot. I know that E is where the operating is stored because it shows NTFS , thats the way I set it up. It shows C as Fat 32 that is the way I set D. I formatted this computer and partitioned the drive using C as windows and D for backups like pictures and important data. The D now shows C and E is windows. Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton ghost 2003 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton ghost 2003 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I do when this happens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 10:44 PM PST

We remove the hard drive that was damaged and set it aside. We slip in a new hard disk and restore the OS. Then the old second drive is attached internally or in some USB case so ... the owner can copy out their files ...

Sorry to hear about your near loss. Remember my answer is what it is since any attempt to repair that OS could result in most losses. If your photos and more are not worth the 99 buck or less hard disk then we just pinned the price on those files.
Bob

Collapse -
Ghost problem
by jerkputter / December 25, 2008 10:11 AM PST

Thanks, I understand about slaving the drive. I will do that before I try and make the drive work again. Sometimes we get more in trouble trying to fix something and spend way to much time on certain tasks. I know there has got to be a way to fix the boot problem. Here is the way it is listed
E: partition NTFS 12002(2399 mb free)
C: partition 2 (unknown) 8 mb
unpartitioned space 1718 mb
D: partition 3 (Fat32) (26153)
unpartitioned space 8 mb
The E drive is where windows xp is loaded

The D Drive is where I keep my backup

When I set a computer up I normally partition the drive and make a ghost image on the D backup drive. That way if I get hit with viruses and I just want windows back in a hurry I just run ghost and get that image off the D drive.

This time I totally messed up. In trying to make a ghost image and write it to DVD I clicked restore instead of backup and that is how the boot drives got changed. I think ghost renamed these drives and I think they are called virtual drives. Hope someone else here has had this problem and knows a way to get it back to booting from C:

Collapse -
AFTER we have the files saved I....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Ghost problem

I never work on the original drive. We can't chance that. I clone the drive to the new drive then try the usual OS repairs such as "XP REPAIR INSTALL" that you see on google.com. HOWEVER this is never an option for most PCs that come with recovery media.

To recover those we need that bona fide Microsoft Windows XP (home? pro?) CD SP2 to perform the repair install. That's about 200 or 300 bucks more to the repair price so we find most opt for the first repair noted in my first reply.
Bob

Collapse -
hard drive
by jerkputter / December 25, 2008 12:56 PM PST

Bob, the hard drive was never damaged. I just messed up the boot drive letter some how when I tried to use ghost. What I wanted to do to begin with was clone his drive( which by the way was performing perfect)He was just running out of needed space.I was going to install the larger 160 gig. I then was going to wipe out the 40 gig and format it and install as slave and use it for backups like pictures and things. I even thought about getting a USB case and install it where it could me moved when needed. I have windows loaded on the 160 gig now but this would have been a ten minute job if I had clicked backup instead of restore last night when I first started on this using Ghost. Now it will take about 4 hours time I get everything back with all windows updates and programs loaded.Thanks

Collapse -
I'm unsure what you are asking here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: hard drive

I've shared how we make sure we don't lose more files. Maybe you are wanting some method that will, with absolute certainty restore the OS without backing up?

Sorry, I have learned to take the cautious and cheap solution.
Bob

Collapse -
The question
by jerkputter / December 26, 2008 6:49 AM PST

What I am asking is this.When I run Norton Ghost it changed my drive name from C: to E: I understand how to copy and paste the needed info but what I want is this drive to boot the way it did before I run Ghost. That way I can Clone the drive and the person will have his computer back just like when he brought it to me except with a much larger HD. Td

Collapse -
On the clone copy. How to change E: to C:
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2008 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: The question

You will find Windows will take a big dive after this change and require a repair install. Be sure you do this on your copy and not the original.

Read http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

I've warned you about the need to save files many times so from now on I take it you are taking the right precautions.
Bob

Collapse -
Here's a link to a site you might find useful
by VAPCMD / December 26, 2008 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: The question
Collapse -
thanks VAPCMD
by jerkputter / December 26, 2008 9:21 AM PST

VAPCMD
That is what I was looking for. Finally someone who understands what I wanted. Thanks
Td

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?