PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton Ghost 2003 HOWTO's

by Paul C / August 15, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

Anyone have a good source where I can get info that's NOT in Symantec's oh-so-very confusing user's guide?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Ghost 2003 HOWTO's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Ghost 2003 HOWTO's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton Ghost 2003 HOWTO's
by swisse / August 16, 2004 4:44 AM PDT

Maybe there are websites out there explaining how to use Norton Ghost the simple way but I don't know of any. But if you want I could try to help you out. We may have to use some parameters to execute Ghost automatically.

Collapse -
by DYarnold / August 16, 2004 8:47 AM PDT

I read your reply to PaulC with interest. I also have used Norton Ghost to clone my HD to a target HD. The process seems to go well, however, when I inserted the new "cloned" HD, and re-booted the computer, it gave me an error message that said it couldnt find the Operating System. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Norton Ghost 2003 and ending up with no boot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 9:29 AM PDT

There are two issues I run into when this fails.

The more common issue is that the owner booted the OS to look at the cloned drive. Don't do that.

The next is that the BIOS was not set to AUTO.

The last is the more common gaffe of hard disk jumpers.

Bob

Collapse -
by swisse / August 16, 2004 9:49 PM PDT

To DYarnold,
What do you mean you inserted your cloned HD? Was it not there when you cloned HD1, how did you clone it? I suppose you used the GhostAdvanced Clone option. Did you originally plan to make only a backup copy of your old HD and later when things come to worse just reload this copy to put it back to its previous state? Do you want to boot from it and not from the old one?

Collapse -
by swisse / August 16, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

Another thought came to me. If you want to boot from your new cloned HD you have to make it "active". You can try FDISK and make this new cloned HD active, so that you can boot from it.

Collapse -
by DYarnold / August 17, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

I tried running FDISK from the Start button, but the computer didnt find it. Is there a way to make the cloned HD "active" from within Ghost?

Collapse -
by swisse / August 18, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

Don't run FDISK from the Start button, but make a bootable disk, copy FDISK to it, and restart your PC. Make sure that your Floppy boots first, then type fdisk at the console. Click Y when FDISK asks if it should support large disks, then the FDISK options will pop-up. Select the second option which is like Activate a partition/disk, then choose the cloned HD, click Y and restart the PC. Take away the bootable disk, open BIOS, and make sure the cloned HD boots first.

Collapse -
by Jmichaels / August 16, 2004 11:46 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?