Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton Ghost 12 - Credential issue

by Timmmmmaaahh / January 31, 2007 9:15 AM PST

Hi,

I recently installed Norton Ghost 12 (12.0.0.18971) with the intention to make a backup of a remote computer in my WORKGROUP environment. This is just a 2-PC network so I didn't expect any hassle but here it is:

When I click "Computers" > "Add..." and enter the IP or computer name of my other system it connects but I get a "Enter Network Credentials" window where I have to enter "User name" and "Password". The computer I'm trying to access doesn't have any security enabled. It doesn't have any passwords either but still Norton Ghost requires me to enter one. I've tried the username of the administrator, the name of the computer/username and any possible combination. I even created a password for the administrator and tried then but everything results in - after I have nothing else to do but to press "cancel" - "You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation. See help for more information about security settings". The help file didn't help me at all Sad

Please help!

Kind regards
Timmy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Ghost 12 - Credential issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Ghost 12 - Credential issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by TxTRusTus / February 16, 2007 5:27 AM PST

Its not Norton, its Windows. Are you using XP? I dont know what you mean by no security set up. XP is pretty secure. You dont want everyone just putting in your ip and copying everything on your HD, its made that way on purpose.

Make sure file sharing is enabled. You not on a domain, so I would assume you would need to verify the account that has permissions on the remote computer.

Do this by adding the remote computername in front of the username when you are trying to log in via norton. Like this:

user: COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME
pass: PASS

Otherwise it will attempt to use your local name, and even if they are the same name the SIDS are different.

Let me know if this helps.

Collapse -
Alternatives?
by Timmmmmaaahh / May 6, 2007 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

It didn't help. The issue was never fixed. As I said, I tried every possible format in the "user: pass:" window (localcomputername/localusername, remotecomputername/remoteusername, with password, without password, etc). I just had to install Ghost on the remote computer, create a file locally, connect it to my PC and transfer the backup file.

File sharing was enabled. With 'no security' I meant the remote PC didn't have any firewall active or anything else to block me from accessing it through LAN. There was no internet activity so there was no question about external access. I've experienced Norton Ghost to be a very unintuitive program with no tweakable features whatsoever and of course, no support.

w4cgunner is probably right, I don't have any positive experiences with Symantec either - let's not even start about Norton AntiVirus -, but since "Drive Image" development is discontinued, where can I find a propper alternative? What backup program offers me a simple interface to make remote - peer2peer - backups that can be restored with a few clicks without having to worry about complicated network issues?

Collapse -
"with a few clicks without having to worry about complicated
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Alternatives?

"with a few clicks without having to worry about complicated network issues?"

None that I ever found. Acronis comes close but networking for me is not as tough as it used to be. I think it's because I dove in and learned more. This lead me to program a dos based NAT router about 10 years ago. Yes, I hear some complain it's tough but when they can't tell me their IP PLAN then they just need more seasoning.

Bob

Collapse -
Symnatec Sux
by w4cgunner / March 21, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

Well we would not be having these problems if "Drive Image" still existed by Power Quest, but after Symantec bought up Power Quest, stole Drive Image and put the Norton name on it...things quickly went down hill. Drive Image was a far superior product, and Power Quest had great support, where as Symantec has next to none. I'm all done buying any Symantec products, just because their lack of support.

Collapse -
Norton Ghost credential issue
by minipin / May 4, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

Did you ever find an answer to this??????? I can't do it, either!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Norton Ghost 12
by ammadkazmi / June 27, 2007 4:31 PM PDT

dude, even i m having the same problem... any updates did u get any soluction please provide me thanx....

Collapse -
Norton Ghost
by PALADIUS / July 23, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

To all concerned follow these steps

1. Create an account named Ghost in Windows XP/VISTA etc, and give it a password on both main and remote computers.

2. Give the account adequate rights to transfer information between both computers.

3. When using the recovery disk map a drive. You will be prompted for username and password. Now click "Sign in as a different user". Then put in your New Ghost account and password and now you will have both systems attached.

Ghost 12 requires that SIDS "verfication" is required.

Take care

Collapse -
I'm finished with Symantec
by Brmweber / July 29, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

Hi Timmy,
I have been using Ghost10 and this worked ok untill I installed a network assisted diskdrive drive (NAS storage) on my inhouse network. (very simple 2 PC's and the NAS drive, on a router)

I can use any program from both PC's to access any folder on my NAS, except using Ghost10, because of the credentials issue. I read here that the same known issue is still present on Ghost 12 ! Is Symantec maybe expecting us to update to Ghost12 ?

Trying all sorts of combinations, it never worked. The trial version of Acronis True Image works right away ! I have been in contact with "support" and I had at least a dozen emails back and forth (who wants to read those emails please ask me). I have been downloading, un-installing, re-installing, clearing, washing, whatever they suggested for days !

All of a sudden they stopped answering, despite my recalls. However I received automated emails, telling me that they have now an "improved new support" , but I had to "re-submit" my questions through the website, bla bla bla...

Which I did several times... receiving only again automated responses, but no efficient response whatsoever any more.

But they send me a evaluation request for their website !
Needless to say that I will never again buy a Symantec product.

What else can I add to what w4cgunner wrote here above.
I feel exactly the same way !

Collapse -
emails w/Symantec?
by woodygg / July 29, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

you stated:

"I have been in contact with "support" and I had at least a dozen emails back and forth"

I can't tell if you mean emails from Symantec for Acronis... (I assume you're referring to Symantec, but then again, I'm assuming.

I'd like to know if you're still happy with True Image.

Thanks....

Collapse -
Acronis acces to NAS drive without problems
by Brmweber / July 29, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: emails w/Symantec?

The email conversation with Symantec Support was about 21 messages and was stopped (like if they disappeared behind the moon).
Not even counting several worthless and useless "online-help" requests which I launched from their website and to which never any Support engineer did reply.

I was using the trial version of True Image, mostly for testing backups to my NAS sisk. This works ok. I tried also a few other features, and did not encounter any heavy problems. But I cannot not give a final judgement on this product, neither on their customer's product support. You will probably find some reviews on the Internet.

For now I just "copy" my personal data. It is much faster as a backup. Right now, I don't need partitions "images" because I will modify the harddisks partitions anyway. Maybe I will buy Acronis True Image later; it looks user friendly.

Collapse -
thanks for the feedback
by woodygg / July 29, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

i use ghost to make an exact bootable copy of my hard drive to a second hard drive - that way if my primary hard drive goes down, i just change the drive cable and boot up.... do you know of any other software that would do this well?

thanks again!

Collapse -
Please verify if Bootable Copy DRIVE is working as expected
by Brmweber / July 30, 2007 1:50 AM PDT

Hi "woodygg"

I never was in the situation of a HDD crash. Did you ?
I'm not sure that I follow your explanation. I never used Ghost in that way, but I have been reading similar stories.

Did you check if the "bootable copy" drive does boot indeed as expected, after you connecting it to the location where the broken disk was connected ? It is important to know that. Please tell us.

If it is some kind of "clone" drive, this would mean that we actually could easely duplicate Windows installations,and use them without activation ? (How many times can Windows be installed on the same machine before a new activation becomes inevitable ?)

Anyway, I would assume that True Image is capable of achieving about the same as Ghost and probably more. My testing period was positive, but like I wrote, I didn't try using all features.

Collapse -
i tested it once...
by woodygg / July 30, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

i wanted to make sure that it would work if needed - it did. the second drive booted right up...

Collapse -
Credentials Issue (ACCESS DENIED)
by SIRKGM14vg / November 14, 2007 7:10 AM PST

I am too experiencing the same problem. The issue is that when you try to access a remote computer, you enter the necessary credentials to log into that machine, however you either receive a ACCESS DENIED error, or 'You will not be able to connect to the network unless you enter a valid user name and password'. I decided to further troubleshoot this issue, just to clarify the problem so in the end, the solution can be ascertained faster.

My environment is much more complex then the thread's author yet is irrelevant to the problem at hand. I have discovered that the issue exists between PC's with Windows Vista and Windows XP.

------PROBLEM/ERROR------
You cannot access remote information from the Windows XP machine to the Windows Vista machine.
------

However, you are able to access vice-versa. That is Windows Vista with Norton Ghost can access the backup service agent on a Windows XP machine with Norton Ghost.

Below is the configuration of each machine that the issue pertains to in my environment.

Machine 1:

Operation System: Windows XP (SP2)
Firewall Active? No
Norton Ghost Version: 12.0

Machine 2:

Operating System: Windows Vista Enterprise
Firewall Active? No
Norton Ghost Version: 12.0

Kimmy, can you specify these things for me for each machine. I can possibly fix your issue if you have only Windows XP machines in your environment.

For each machine list:

Operating System:
Version of Norton Ghost:
Account associated with Norton Ghost:***

***You will need to go into the Management Console for Windows to find this out. Steps are provided below:

1. Press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run Command Window.
2. Type the following: services.msc
3. Look for Norton Ghost in the right viewing pane.
4. Right-Click and select 'Properties'.
5. Locate the LogOn Tab and Click it.
6. Record whether Local Service radio button is selected or User account.

Thanks,

Moose

Collapse -
Norton Ghost is a Nightmare...
by oncall258 / December 16, 2007 6:07 AM PST

I recommend Acronis Trueimage. We use it at oncall258 and rarely have issues even when duplicating troubled drives.

Collapse -
Shared folder breakage in V11?
by glenreed / December 16, 2007 6:21 AM PST

I tried Acronis V.11 before buying Ghost. I saw one review online stating that someone's shared folders were rendered inaccessible by version 11 (OK in 10) and figured they didn't know what they were doing.

Once Acronis was loaded on my PC, my shared folders were also not accessible by other computers on my network. Access was restored when I removed Acronis.

Collapse -
Unable to Open NORTON GHOST 12 in WIN XP
by fsturek / April 19, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

THANKYOU !!!!!!!!!!!! SIRKGM14vg (MOOSE) for your explanation above. While my situation was somewhat different than the one you were attempting to resolve, your answer led me straight to my solution. Below I have attempted to describe how I used your information to fix my specific problem.

////////////////////////////

INSTALLED SOFTWARE:

WIN XP Home Edition
NORTON GHOST 12

GHOST PROGRAM ACCESS SYMPTOMS:

When attempting to open Ghost 12, after initial screen, it would jump to an ?Unable To Connect? screen (first error message below), which offered three options: 1. Attempt to connect; 2. Deploy agent (which opened the log-in window to enter non-existent username & password); and 3. An Edit Locations (?) option -- I am paraphrasing and writing from memory here, but if you?ve been here you?ll recognize it. These approaches were useless and only resulted in the second error message below.

ERROR MESSAGES:

? This program is unable to connect and communicate with the Norton Ghost backup service. ?
? Cannot connect to the agent on <<my computer name>> ?

SOLUTION:

START; RUN; type SERVICES.MSC; find & right click NORTON GHOST in list on right of window; select PROPERTIES from drop down menu.

Under GENERAL tab, & STARTUP TYPE, I changed the entry to ?Manual? (was ?Disabled?)

Under LOGON tab, & LOG ON AS, I selected ?Local System Account? and checked the box for ?Allow service to interact with desktop?.

After clicking OK and closing this window, I tried starting GHOST again and this time it started up normally. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE WITH THE SAME OR SIMILAR PROBLEM, AS THE POSTING ABOVE POINTED THE WAY FOR ME TO RESOLVE THIS VERY FRUSTRATING PROBLEM.

Collapse -
Credentials....etc!!!!
by Gyro42 / November 23, 2008 11:54 AM PST

This Fixed the problem! Good job! . Rehash walkaround..... Go to My computer(On Remote PC), Rt click "Manage", Go to "Services", Scroll down to "Norton Ghost", Rt click,"Properties">"Log On", Click on "This Account", Click "Browse">"Advanced">"Find Now", Pick an Administrator,> Click "Ok"> Click "Ok" for Select User Box > Type Password that you normally use to log into that PC, Confirm Password > Apply, Ok to Services Box, Stop then start Service(Norton Ghost), Close "Services". Now, Yea!!!, Get on PC That you are using as "Host" and Click "Connect", Now you can see the remote PC. Thanks Man Been Playing with this issue for 6 Hours

Collapse -
Finally, the issue
by webnewsman / November 16, 2007 12:21 PM PST

Hi Guys,

As many of us I spent a lot of time trying to connect to XP SP2 machine with Ghost 12. It's really sad that guys from Symantec have no idea about OS they writing software for.

So, after some research, here is the solution for Win XP SP2:

1. Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck "Use simple file sharing"

2. Go to firewall settings and add TCP ports 135 and 1038 to the exceptions list.

That's it.

Paul Golubev AKA Equinox

Collapse -
what else?
by glenreed / December 14, 2007 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: Finally, the issue

I am trying to connect from an XP home to an XP Media Center computer. When I enter the remote computer name\user and password in Ghost 12 I get "You will not be able to connect to the network unless you enter a valid user name and password".

I tried unchecking the "use simple file sharing" folder option on the remote (XP media) computer. I don't have that option on the host (XP) computer.

I have windows firewall turned off on both computers. I am able to access the media center computer via remote desktop from the xp home computer.

What am I missing?

Collapse -
RE: Finally, the issue (SOLVED)
by SIRKGM14vg / February 15, 2008 11:05 PM PST

Thanks webnewsman,

This resolved my issue, and I'm sure this will also resolve others. Thanks for you help.

-Moose

Collapse -
credentials - norton ghost 12 issue
by BethannI / February 18, 2008 4:54 AM PST

I am just following the other posts on credentials issues for Norton Ghost 12.0 and wondering if I am just off base after a chat with Symantec. We have a small not for profit business with about 5 pcs all slight older xp versions peer to peer to my machine. I was going to use Norton to back up the networked drives to my 2nd hard drive, but I am having the credentials issue previously mentioned. I've tried everything listed here - ports, firewalls, checking logon, setting up individual ghost login accounts on pc with passwords (even though we typically do not have passwords on the machines). I had to put one on mine to even get Norton Ghost 12.0 to work for me. Anyway, after struggling through this, I did a chat session with Symantec today who promptly told me this was not possible and that I need to buy licensing and/or copies of the program for every machine we wanted to back up. I don't understand why on a small peer to peer with essentially connected drives and the feature as an option in Norton, that this is not possible. Can anyone help me or is this just a licensing issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Good luck to all!

Collapse -
Let's try obvious?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 5:20 AM PST

With each machine you did buy a copy of Ghost? Today's softwares are programmed to fail if we exceed the license. Either with credentials, licenses, activations, etc. It's hard to fault Symantec here if you exceeded the license.

One wonders if what you want to backup could be done with SYNCBACK.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks - was licensing issue
by BethannI / February 18, 2008 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try obvious?

Sorry about the bother. Yes you are correct. We were under the impression since it was a peer to peer situation that you could use the extended drives as back ups to the one main pc. For some reason, originally no discussion had been made/seemed stated that there would in fact be additionally licensing costs. It makes sense on a server/full network, but this is a very low level type remote setup on a small workgroup. Anyway, we'll have to look at other options. What's really weird, is even if you don't have the extra licensing, that for 30 days you're supposed to be able to do the networking anyway to see how it responds and we've only had the program 2 weeks and have not once been able to get it to network. Oh well, sorry again and thanks!

Collapse -
Try SYNCBACK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 8:23 AM PST

It's free and some find it's just enough.

Collapse -
will try - thanks
by BethannI / February 19, 2008 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try SYNCBACK.

Will try it - downloaded the program and seems to have a lot of options and is so far trying to connect to another drive/pc - thanks so very much again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!