Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton Ghost 10.0

by metmichallica / September 17, 2005 1:20 PM PDT

Anyone buy it yet? Do you think it is worth the upgrade from 9.0 to 10.0?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Ghost 10.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Ghost 10.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My money is on...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton Ghost 10.0

Acronis.

Not only has my buddy shown me it, but Symantec's brains seem to be occupied with other areas of the company.

I use Ghost (older version) but when that fails, I'm buying Acronis.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by metmichallica / September 18, 2005 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: My money is on...

Seems like some good new features in the program. http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html . I don't want to change companies because I have no problem with Ghost and I don't want to run out and buy True Image and have it not work right or something.

It does look like they have a lot of new features in Ghost though. They should make the up process faster, that would definitely be worth the upgrade. Though I don't think those features will benifit me much that they've added to Ghost, because I only run Ghost manually every two weeks or so.

Collapse -
I am with Bob
by El Alquimista / September 18, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

I am going with Acronis True Image next time.

IMHO, Symantec has taken Ghost downhill in the last few years. I really like the DOS based Ghost 2002 better than the later ones.

Frank

Collapse -
Question
by metmichallica / September 18, 2005 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: I am with Bob
http://www.techweb.com/wire/networking/170702806

I found that and I have a question.

"Norton Ghost 10.0 debuts a Windows System Restore-esque recovery point capability that lets users set event-triggered recovery points -- backups that are a snapshot of the drive at a particular time -- and also reconcile recovery points to save storage space."

Does that mean it also has a restore feature? Kind of like Norton Goback?
Collapse -
It is difficult
by El Alquimista / September 18, 2005 5:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

to get any meaningful technical information from press releases. These are written by Sales Dept. hacks and, as Dilbert has frequently pointed out, may be unrelated to the true technical aspects of the program.

The following is from the Ghost 10.0 manual, and is essentially the full text of the section What?s new in Norton Ghost (my underlining):

?Norton Ghost 10 includes many enhancements and new features.

?If you are familiar with earlier versions of Norton Ghost, review the readme file for information about changes in product terminology. For example, image files are now referred to as recovery points.?

So, all they have done is change terminology and advertise it as a great new feature. If I were to ghost my F partition to a DVD today, how would I label it? D Image 050919 of course ? that is what it is, not a Go Back type recovery point.

I have not thoroughly perused the new readme file, but from the above quote, it sounds as if most new features are mainly renamed old features. One exception may be that incremental backups can now be continued for a baseline image even after an unexpected shutdown, as in case of a power failure or hard reboot. I haven?t analyzed this feature yet.

At this time, I am still planning on True Image for my next installation.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
thanks
by metmichallica / September 20, 2005 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: It is difficult

I'm just kind of wondering if it was worth it to upgrade. Thanks for helping me out in choosing the right decision, I don't want to waste all that money if it is going to be like that. Thanks, for your help.

Collapse -
Where did you find the manual
by netlaw / September 23, 2005 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It is difficult

I'm wondering, where did you find the manual? It appears that the product has not yet shipped.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The manual is already on the Symantec site
by El Alquimista / September 24, 2005 7:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just don't do it yet
by HawaiiMike / October 3, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

Read the forums on the Acronis site. The latest release of Acronis is a POS. More like a beta release to have released to users.

Take my word for it too. I downloaded the latest version this weekend. Did a test recovery from the Recovery CD. It would just blow away immediately after starting the recovery. The recovery CD saw the archives as corrupt, where the installed media verified the archives as valid.

Support was terrible.

Downloaded and installed Ghost 10.0. Did a complete backup of my 60GB laptop drive onto the second laptop drive. As a test, I installed a clean 60GB hard drive. Repartitioned it so the C Drive would only be 25 GB. Used the Norton Recovery environment to recover the CDrive archive onto the new hard drive. Worked like a charm. Complete archive, reinstall/repartion, restore process took less than an hour.

For my money and time... and for what I need to do, Norton Ghost 10.0 is perfect.

Collapse -
I agree, Ghost is not *that* bad
by dostarr / October 17, 2005 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Just don't do it yet

I've had Ghost be one of the *very* few full image backups that recognized my USB DVD burner, that's all she wrote for me. Still a little weary of 10.0 and just where this product is heading.

I did just buy NTI Backup Now and DriveBackup, and I must say I've been *very* happy with that product as well. Great price too (50% off coupon immediately on the site).

cheers.
/Doug.

Collapse -
Thank you
by metmichallica / October 18, 2005 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Just don't do it yet

I am kind of afraid to change products, mostly change products entirely and go with another company, because I know Norton Ghost works and going with another company it may not work. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Collapse -
GHOST 2003 with MS-DOS works well also . . .
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2006 1:13 PM PST

it's been my (PC) security blanket for the last several years.

I've also got Acronis 9.0 and Drive Image 6.
I recently had the opportunity to try all three and although I didn't time them per se, GHOST 2003 'felt a lot faster than either of the other two creating an image of one of primary hard disk partition to an another internal hard disk.

For the moment I'm stickin' with GHOST 2003.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Sorry to say the Latest Acronis 9.0 is C--P!!!!!
by netlaw / October 8, 2005 4:06 PM PDT

I bought the latest Acronis and it is a piece of garbage.

Collapse -
Odd, Jerry tried it and it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 12:01 AM PDT

Can you tell what happened?

Here it worked (for Jerry.)

Bob

Collapse -
Acronis is hit or miss...
by cr1s / October 23, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

Have used Acronis TI 8 for some time now. I agree with a previous post regarding corrupted images. CD/DVD imaging and burning never worked for me. Mounting the image on my External USB hard drive worked most of the time (about 80%), but a few times left me hanging. That's what brought me to this string regarding NG 10.

Collapse -
what is memory footprint of NGhost 10.0
by earlJ / February 13, 2006 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Norton Ghost 10.0

I use Retrospect HD, the version that comes with Maxtor One Touch II. It uses a lot of memory. Anyone know the memory demands of Norton Ghost 10.0?
earlJ

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!