HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Norton Firewall problems

by msmarie / November 7, 2004 9:42 PM PST

I'm experiencing a similar problem with Norton 2004 and 2005 on two computer running XP Pro.

Symantec is very good at taking big $$ for these products and offers no support.

Can't set up my wireless network on my new dell puter and I believe it's another problem with Norton.

Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Firewall problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Firewall problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton Firewall problems
by msmarie / November 7, 2004 10:03 PM PST

Further explaination of problem. I loose my internet connection while online. Also, about 50% of the time, I am unable to access the web, d/l email to outlook.

I installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my 4 year old Dell, XP Pro os without the latest service pack installed.

Brand new Dell, XP Pro os, came with Norton Internet Security 2004 install and I am experiencing the same problem of being unable to access the web. Can't install my wireless network to the new machine.

What is the problem? I'm thinking that I'll uninstall Norton, so I can install my wireless network and attempt to get my money back from Symantec.

TIA

Collapse -
Look at the 70% unhappy at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2004 10:59 PM PST
http://www.download.com/3302-2092_4-10321116.html

Frankly I can't help but wonder why this product continues to sell well in spite of such user opinions.

Wish I had a fix for it, for now I uninstall it and use almost anything else. Since the owners usually are gunshy about buying another one, Zonealarm is used.

bob
Collapse -
Re: Look at the 70% unhappy at...
by duckman / November 9, 2004 8:59 PM PST

I'm glad I saw those reviews, I need to upgrade all my Norton products and maybe I won't go with Norton anymore !!

ACE

Collapse -
For ACE "duckman"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 9:15 PM PST

Here's my view for this area. Symantec with the 2004 version attempted to cram too much functionality into one box and shortchanged their testing crews. This is not conjecture.

They also have not caught the sea-change or change in the winds of consumers that don't like products that don't work out of the box or fail then require twiddling and support.

Imagine if every product you had was as reliable as your PC products... You would not last long.

For it's credit, ZoneAlarm and Free AVG are fairly trouble free (and free) and have been gathering a not so small following. How they are making money are the ones that try it may purchase the full versions. I know that Grisoft has the right idea and I hope they do a little more in the SPYWARE area. My bet is they should acquire such a feature rather than develop it.

Just my thoughts and there are other free antivirus out there so look in the Security Forum about that.

-> HERE'S WHAT I STARTED TO WRITE. My outlook is that Symantec will continue down its current path of problematic software issues or will get "religion", slim down and shape up. We'll see in the next year's version. Or the next.

Cheers,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.