Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

norton disabled because I didn't renew - try kaspersky?

by raccoongirl / September 11, 2010 11:05 AM PDT

I've used norton for quite some time. Have always hated that it slowed my computer down, but liked it's antivirus package. In the past I could continue to use it when the subscription expired. My latest subscription just expired and the whole program is disabled. I'm so mad!

That's the end of norton for me. I'm going to switch to either Kaspersky or AVG. Which one is better? Both have been recommended to me, so I'm unsure which one to use. I know I'd like a good antivirus program that doesn't slow down my computer.

Thanks,
Melissa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: norton disabled because I didn't renew - try kaspersky?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: norton disabled because I didn't renew - try kaspersky?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is a personal choice Melissa, I
by roddy32 / September 11, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

had the same problem back in April, I always used NAV but they would not let me renew either like I had always done because the program was an older version like yours. Like I said it is a personal choice but I used the NAV removal tool and then installed avast 5 (free). I love it, It works well and I hardly even know it is on the computer.

Whatever program you decide on, makes sure you run the NAV removal tool before you install the new program.

Just pick the year and version of the NAV product you are uninstalling, dowload the tool and read the directions before you use it,. I have already have the new program downloaded and ready to install as soon as you are done removing NAV

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Collapse -
norton removal
by raccoongirl / September 11, 2010 11:51 AM PDT

Thanks. I've been reading that norton isn't too easy to uninstall, so I appreciate the link.

Any idea on if Kaspersky internet security is really needed, or if Kaspersky antivirus is enough. I really don't want my computer slowed down (fed up with norton doing this)... and it seems to me that Kaspersky internet security would be more likely to slow it down than just their antivirus program. Sort of leaning towards kaspersky as you can see. But don't know if this requires a yearly subcription to be able to continue to use the program.

Collapse -
The Norton removal tool works
by roddy32 / September 11, 2010 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: norton removal

well. What I did was download avast and save it, then I set a restore point and ran the removal tool, then I rebooted. Then I ran CCleaner to clean up any remnants, then installed avast and rebooted again and everything went easy, the whole process only took about 15 minutes including the 2 reboots.

I am not a fan of "all in one suites" of any brand. Some people are though. If you have a Firewall and a couple of antispyware programs, then you should be protected with just KAV AV or whichever one you decide on. I a going to guess that you would have to renew KAV once a year, Most of the paid programs do that.

Just for an example, I have XPSP3

1. I use the Windows Forewall that came with SP2
2. avast 5 free antivirus with real time protection
3. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware fee version for on demand scanning
4. SpywareBlaster by Javacool
5. SpywareGuard by Javacool
6. TrojanHunter which is a paid version with real time protection

If you have various program just as what I have above or something similiar, you should not need the entire KAV security suite.

Collapse -
norton disabled
by raccoongirl / September 11, 2010 12:28 PM PDT

What is ccleaner? I have super antispyware and malwarebyte. To be honest I don't know if I have a firewall.

I've been trying to understand why norton won't work at all... you said because it's an older version. In the past I could still use the program without renewing (but couldn't use the live update). This time however symentac disabled the whole program.

Upon further reading, I'm concerned that this very same thing might happen with kaspersky after a year. But I can't find anything on if it will totally disable itself after a year if you don't renew. The renewal fees are kind of pricey.

I'm beginning to rethink this and might try a free antivirus program. This is just so confusing.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the input.

Melissa

Collapse -
Norton, or ANY
by roddy32 / September 11, 2010 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: norton disabled

antivirus program, if you can not get the current definitions for the currents threats, then the program is worthless. There are MANY new threats released in the wild every day. You HAVE to have a program that you can get the new defs for every day, Scanning with a program that does not have the defs for the current threats is like not scanning at all.

What operating system do you have? XPSP2, XP3, Vista and Windows 7 all come with a firewall. XPSP2 though is no longer supported so you can;t get Windows Updates anym more. These all have INcoming firewalls and don;t protect outgoing things BUT I live by the adage,"If you don't let anything in, the notihing can get out".

You said you have both super antispyware and malwarebytes which are both good programs. CCleaner is a program that cleans up temp files, etc.

There are a few free antivirus programs. As I have said above, i use avast 5 which is free. You have to register it once a year bit that is free. AntiVir is aniother free one that many people in here use also. I a not a fam of AVG but some like it. Microsoft Security Essentials is also free.

Grif, anther Mod here has a "Tips for newbies" thread in the computer newbie forum. It is VERY long but has a LOT of good info. Might be worth reading it when you have some time.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=22053

Collapse -
norton disabled
by raccoongirl / September 11, 2010 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton, or ANY

I have Vista... good to know that comes with a firewall. I feel like a dummy not knowing that.

May I ask why you don't care for AVG and why you prefer Avast 5? Do the free antivirus programs protect the computer against as many viruses as the ones you pay for?

Makes sense that you continue to need to get the new antivirus updates. I just got so mad that Norton completely disabled my program when I didn't renew. Never liked Norton to be honest, so this was the last straw.

Thanks for the link. Will definately read it. And thanks again for all your help!

Melissa

Collapse -
Just the fact that
by roddy32 / September 11, 2010 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: norton disabled

you are asking these questions proves that you are not a dummy as you put it. The only way to learn is to ask questions.

I have no personal experience with AVG but this forum used to recommend it but stopped a couple of years ago, After, the 7.5 version, it became bloated and we had too many complaints about problems, including slowing down computers. Yes, there are still people that like it and use it but not as many as there used to be. Most of the recommdations for free now are either for avast, Antivir or Microsoft Security Essentials.

In MY case I chose avast and have been very happy with it. There are some that feel the paid versions are better but many, including me that do not feel that way. The definitions are the same on the free versions as they are on the paid versions.

As I said, it is a personal choice but if you have the Vista firewall on which I imagine you do because it would be on by default and you also have MBAM and SUPER, you should be fine with one of the above mentioned free antiviruses or a paid one of your choice without buying a complete internet security suite.

Safe surfing is the best protection though. Also you should make sure you always keep Windows Updates, Java, FlashPlayer, etc. and all your other programs up to date.

Collapse -
norton disabled - one last question
by raccoongirl / September 12, 2010 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Just the fact that

I've got one last question if you don't mind. I know you said to use the NAV removal tool. Should I go into windows "add/remove" program first and then use the NAV tool.. or is it fine to just use the NAV tool alone? I've read on some sites it's better to use both. I want to be sure to get rid of all of norton.

Thanks so much for the info on antivirus programs. I'm going to skip getting the full security suites since it sounds like I'm pretty protected with the other things I have. And think I'm going to go with a free antivirus program, especially if they include all the same definitions. If AVG slows computers down then I'm going to avoid that. That's been my biggest complaint with Norton.

Will also look into CCleaner.

Thanks so much! You've been a huge help! Happy

Melissa

Collapse -
It is not neccessary to
by roddy32 / September 12, 2010 2:21 AM PDT

use add/remove programs to remove NAV first. You don't even have to disable the protection first. I got this advice from Donna, another Mod in this forum who had used the tool often. It worked great and completely removed everything as she said it would.

As far as CCleaner, There are 4 builds available.
? Standard Build also includes the Yahoo Toolbar but that can be
UNcheckmarked during the installation if you so desire.
? Portable does NOT include the Installer
? Slim also does NOT include the Toolbar.
? Portable - U3 - - For U3 compatible USB thumbdrives

Most people, including me use the slim version which is the bottom download on this link
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Here is a link for a tour of CCleaner with screenshots
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/tour/after-installation

You are welcome, happy to help.

Collapse -
thank you
by raccoongirl / September 12, 2010 3:38 AM PDT

Thank you! Time to get to work on this! Happy

Melissa

Collapse -
(NT) You are welcome
by roddy32 / September 12, 2010 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you
Collapse -
avast
by raccoongirl / September 13, 2010 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: You are welcome

Success! Norton uninstalled and decided on Avast. Everything went really smoothly. I'm thrilled to finally be rid of Norton. Did a full system scan with Avast, and it came up clean. If I understand Avast it scans in real time. So is there a need to do full system scans from here on?

Other than that question I'm now good to go!

Melissa

Collapse -
Great news Melissa. Glad it went well
by roddy32 / September 13, 2010 8:26 AM PDT

The real time scanning means it is actively protecting you as you surfing. That is not the same as doing a manual scan.

The scans themselves you can do whenever you want. I do the quick scan myself about one a week and I do a full scan about once every 2 or 3 weeks. Whatever is convient for you to do.

Collapse -
avast scans
by raccoongirl / September 13, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

Thanks for this info. I didn't see anywhere that you could schedule scans. So just assume when you want to do a manual scan you go in and do it. If this is wrong, can you let me know?

Otherwise I'll be sure to do the quick scans and full scans as you suggested. So far I really like this program. My computer seems much speedier without Norton.

Thanks again!

Melissa Happy

Collapse -
Yes, you can schedukle scans, just
by roddy32 / September 13, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

click on the left side where it says "scan computer", Then on the bottom right it should says "ceate custon scan" then at the bottom left of that page page it should say "scheduling". Put a tick mark where is says "this this scan". That will highlight the rest of the options and you do schedule whe you want and exactly what you want it to do. See the note at the bottom where it says the scan times are miltary times so if you want it to scan at 3:00PM for an example you have to put 1500. Then click "OK" at the bottom.

Glad you like it Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.