Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Norton AV problem >>

by stew / July 22, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

Have NAV 2002 and just ran an update, now when I try to open NAV so I can run a virus scan I get the message "Norton Integrator could not initialize the current frame class. Please make sure that you did not directly run the integrator."
NAV still checks my emails and individual sites when I use NAV scan but I just can't get into the main Norton site.
Have Windows 98 and NAV 2002

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton AV problem >>
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton AV problem >>
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton AV problem >>
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton AV problem >>
Collapse -
And Norton's Article About the 'Integrator'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 4:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another suggestion.
by chuckieu / July 22, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

I use Win 98se and NAV 2002. Just un-install and start over. NAV, that is. Use the uninstall feature-enter "settings"-"add/remove programs" and look for ANYTHING
to do with Norton and remove it. Go to My Computer-Find,and search for and remove ANY programs associated with Norton, Live Update, etc. you can think of. Then re-boot and re-install. Sounds like overkill unless you know Norton. You'll get a nice bonus I won't
mention here. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
To insure that bonus. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 22, 2004 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Another suggestion.

go into the registry and delete all keys associated with Norton or Symantec after the uninstall. I've used that bonus for quite a while.

Collapse -
Re: Bonus???
by Sheila / July 22, 2004 10:41 AM PDT

Before you tell us what the bonus is.......I didn't think that NAV 2002 was usuable in 2004. Have I been paying each year for the new product when I could still use my old version?

Now.....what is the bonus?

Sheila

Collapse -
by chuckieu / July 23, 2004 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bonus???

To Wayne, YES, got to beat that snake till it's dead, dead, dead. Otherwise you don't get a good install.
To Sheila, didn't want to say, and I hope nobody from Symantec comes here. I will not use Norton anymore after
my 2002 is up, 2004 is too invasive, ala Microsoft XP.
Like most, Symantec registration is automated, so every
time something screws up and I have to reinstall, my license is good for a year!!! Nothing illegal, just their system. chuck

Collapse -
by Coryphaeus / July 23, 2004 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bonus???

"Have I been paying each year for the new product when I could still use my old version?"

Of course you can. It's called updates. All you get with a new CD is a different look to the utilities. I used 2000 until 2003 when I got a deal on the 2003 CD. Enable Live Update and let your PC download the updates. They are published every Thursday. Sometimes on Sunday, and every day if there is something bad going around. Live update looks at the site every four hours.

Can't let too much out of the bag, just suffice it to say that after a good purge of the program and all registry entries, the subscription date will change after it's reinstalled.

Collapse -
Hey everybody, Thanks for all the info, However >>
by stew / July 23, 2004 9:10 AM PDT

I can not re-install NAV 2002 because I do not have the NAV 2002 CD!
By the way, experimented and found out that my NAV will scan thru the task scheduler, so I guess I'll just use that to run my scans. Sound ok?

Collapse -
Re: Hey everybody, Thanks for all the info, However >>
by chuckieu / July 24, 2004 4:51 AM PDT

Too bad, Stew. Like I said, when Norton runs out, I will switch. There are a few good free anti-virus programs, and better paid programs. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Re: Hey everybody, Thanks for all the info, However >>
by allie97 / July 27, 2004 1:57 PM PDT

My NAV subscription just ran out last week, and already it seems that every 1/2 hour I'm getting attacked by a Trojan...almost always 4.29.something.something. You mentioned some better program options...would you please share them with me? I've installed the avast! demo, but I don't think it's working properly due to the NAV still running - but I'm scared to turn it off because I keep getting attacked!!! HELP!

Collapse -
I would...
by FrankQTran / July 27, 2004 3:04 PM PDT

recommend you to get the AVG free edition from Grisoft (you'll need to register before you can download) and their link is http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Until AVG is installed, dump NAV for good.

Regards,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.