Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Auto protect driver not loaded

Hi Please can someone hel me? I have Norton internet security 2004 oem version 7.0.6.17 running on my Vio laptop every time i start my computer now i get an error message ( the Norton antivirus auto protect driver could not be loaded. This seems to disable the whole package. At the same time I seem to be able to browse websites but if I try to buy something it lets me add stuff and veiw my cart but wont let me go to check out pages. It seems as if it wont let me go to any secure page. Any ideas please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Auto protect driver not loaded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Auto protect driver not loaded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for reply but

In reply to: See if this link helps and make

The first thing is says to do is run Live update. but when I try that IO get this message...
Initializing...
Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
Unable to connect to host
LU1841: LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider. Verify your dial-up information is correct.
LiveUpdate session is complete.

If I try to get them to run live update for me they try to install a bit of software but it doesnt happen

Collapse -
thanks again but

In reply to: More reading material for you here on this link.

If I try to do anything to Norton security it wont let me is says I havnt got the rights

If I try to install the automated support assistant it wont let me do that either

Collapse -
Sounds to me like you aren't logged on

In reply to: thanks again but

as administrator. Check that and if that is OK, maybe try uninstall, reinstall?

Collapse -
I do need to logue in but

In reply to: Sounds to me like you aren't logged on

Your right it seems to all be disabled and needs me to logue in unfortunatley as far as im aware I dont have a password
It seems to have stiched me up like a kipper

Collapse -
Hi, did you install Parental Control of NIS

In reply to: I do need to logue in but

If so, it is the reason why it need you to logon. I suggest that you uninstall the product the re-install it. If you do not use the Parental Control, do NOT install it (while you are installing NIS, you will be given an option to deselect installation of Parental Control).

Collapse -
not to my knowledge

In reply to: Hi, did you install Parental Control of NIS

Internet security was set up on the computer when I bought it. Its all worked fine for over a year until 2 days ago. the first thing I new about It I got an error message when starting the computer saying it couldnt load the antivirus auto driver.

Collapse -
You can determine whether Parental control is installed

In reply to: not to my knowledge

by viewing the interface of NIS. Can you change any settings with the program?

Collapse -
installed but turned off

In reply to: You can determine whether Parental control is installed

I think it was installed but is switched off

Collapse -
I'm going to have someone

In reply to: Sounds to me like you aren't logged on

else look at this. On ALL of my computers, I have always signed in automatically so I don't know how to help you with that. Hang in there, soemone will be here.

Collapse -
the symptons

In reply to: I'm going to have someone

My symptoms are...
Wont load antivirus auto protect driver

Internet security not logged in on start up

if I make a new password for supervisor I can switch on security but it still wont help the other problems.

Cant seem to visit some webpages seems to be secure pages.

Cant run live update it tells me to check my connection details

Collapse -
Have you tried uninstalling and

In reply to: the symptons

reinstalling as was suggested?

Collapse -
Have uninstalled and

In reply to: Have you tried uninstalling and

Hi Again I have uninstalled norton security and everything has gone back to working fine. at the moment I have installed a different antivirus AVG just to see how that does. The main thing is im back in operation again. Thanks for every ones help it actualy taught me quite a lot
Cheers Ray

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Ray. :)

In reply to: Have uninstalled and

Collapse -
I've Had the same problem

In reply to: Have uninstalled and

Can you please list a detailed procedure to remove this software as I've read your thread and I'm in the same position you were.

Collapse -
This is how I did it

In reply to: I've Had the same problem

Hi I just did it through the add/removea program feature in windows. start menu/control panel/add-remove programs
I removed the whole of norton internet security and hey presto it all worked again. This pissed me off a bit as I had just renewed the subscription. I have now downloaded and are running AVG anti virus as a trial. It installed and seems to be working fine.
Hope this helps
Good luck
Cheers Ray

Collapse -
norton internet security

In reply to: This is how I did it

Hi, i'm having exactly the same problem, but i cannot remve and re-install norton as it does not appear in the add/remove programs screen. Can anyone help, i've tried everything!!

Collapse -
Easy Solution

In reply to: Norton Auto protect driver not loaded

Run 'LiveUpdate' and problem resolves itself (of course you have to be a current subscriber).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.