Desktops forum

General discussion

Norton Antivirus

I bought Norton Antivirus 2004. When I installed it on my emachines 667 with 192 mgs of ram, it started removing viruses automaticly which I thought was a good thing untill I found out that a lot of the apps on my computer wouldn't work anymore. I ended up having to reformat to get my computer to work again. So I thought I'd install the antivirus software first thing since thioreticlly there wouldn't be any viruses on my computer. It still started removing "viruses" and things wouldn't work again and I had to reformat again. How can this software do me any good if it disables my most used software in the process of doing what it does? One of the viruses that it removed when I installed it right after reformating was called "Stator". How could there be a virus on my factory installed software. After reformating that was all that was on my "C" drive. I do have a "D" slave hard drive, but the apps that it was disabling were on the "C" drive. The slave drive has mostly music files on it. I can't use my antivirus software untill I find out how to install it and still have a functional computer. Has anyone had a similir experience? Does anyone know the solution to this problem? I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton Antivirus 2004

In reply to: Norton Antivirus

Given the over 70% thumbs down at http://www.download.com/Norton-AntiVirus-2004/3000-2239-10223639.html I continually am surprised that people try their luck with the 2004 version.

Please don't expect me to fix Symantec's mess. In fact, I see no indication you called Symantec.

What I would do? If I have an application that fails I uninstall and reinstall it. For me, this is easy. Others may need help. As to the 2004 version, my advice is "get a refund" and get any other AV other than McAfee.

Again, you are not alone with this issue, but it's clear that 2004 is not a good year for Symantec.

bob

Collapse -
It sounds to me. . .

In reply to: Norton Antivirus

like Norton was removing Spyware. Some programs that contain Spyware will not operate if the Spyware is removed. These programs are the "freebies" that you install from the net. That's why they are free.

Your choice:

Get the full featured program and pay for it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.