Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Antivirus....

by tbbt73 / September 11, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

I used McAfee Internet Security Suites (trial version). The pc runs smoothly, then I remove it and replaced with Norton Antivirus, wow, it make the pc slower...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Antivirus....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Antivirus....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Norton Antivirus...............
by 09Bentley / September 11, 2006 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton Antivirus....

A lot of people say that Norton is a system hog. I have tried it and I agree. There are plenty of FREE AV programs out there which do a great job and don't slow down your PC. Try www.infostar.com to see what's available. Please help to support this website if you can! It's strictly a personal project and a great resource. (But NOT my project, I hasten to add!)

Collapse -
Impossible - -
by mirra_250 / September 11, 2006 5:03 PM PDT

It is not NAV that is slowing down your computer. It is absoloutely impossible as NIS has NAV and extras on it, whereas NAV has just the AV. NIS = More harddrive space + RAM than NAV.
You must have installed different programs since you installed NAV, or you have less HDD space, it is NOT NAV!

Collapse -
Recall: Impossible - - SORRY
by mirra_250 / September 11, 2006 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Impossible - -

My mistake! I feel really bad. I thought you said you were using Norton Internet Security before you got Norton Anti-Virus. I take back everything I said!

But, I can say, NAV is not slowing my computer down? So I'm not sure I can't help you.

Once again, sorry!

Paul.

Collapse -
Thank you...
by tbbt73 / September 12, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Thank for you reply and explanations...

Collapse -
Norton
by serenity326 / September 13, 2006 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Impossible - -

I downloaded Norton 2006 with the spyware and had a horrible time with the installation and as I was doing it I got a spyware virus. And my computer is now so slow at start up I could scream. This could be from the virus but doing that download was horrible. And when I brought my compi home from the computer shop to repair the virus problem, I had five more viruses on it??!! I had Norton on there??

Serenity326

Collapse -
Get rid of Norton quick
by disinter / September 13, 2006 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton

Yeah, they are trustworthy, but not really good at picking up viruses. And they do slow down computers really bad.

Collapse -
I agree, get rid
by harleygal34 / September 15, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

use Avast! no problems with it at all. Its free, and better than a lot you pay for.

Collapse -
Norton A/V VS one FREE I like
by steve11375 / September 15, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

Evening tbbt73,

I'm using a Dell 8400 computer (3.2MHz processor) with 1 GB ram, prior to this AND with this computer and 2 others before, I used Norton A/V and never had a seconds problem with it on any of my computers, BUT many people do see a load with this A/V.

Last year I tried SEVERAL FREE A/V's programs after reading about them in in a PC magazine. I switched to AntiVir Personal Edition Classic FREE which you can download from WWW.FREE-AV.COM just make sure you get the correct version for your operating system.

I think Roddy can atest to the fact that these people put out at LEAST 2 or 3 Updated Virus Definition Files a day (or more), some days he has a difficult time keeping up with all the updates they put out LOL.

My 2 cents worth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?