Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton Anti Virus Expiring - should I resubscribe?

by Boardwalk / May 18, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

Just wondering how everyone felt about Norton. My trial will be up soon and I don't know if I should go with them. Had trouble in the past with tech support... any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton Anti Virus Expiring - should I resubscribe?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton Anti Virus Expiring - should I resubscribe?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Boardwalk
by roddy32 / May 18, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

There are both Norton lovers and Norton haters in here. I use it because it has never failed me and I just renewed a couple of months ago. It's a personal choice, if you like it, stay with it, if not, then try something different.

Collapse -
norton question
by dyspyzthespyz / May 18, 2005 1:50 AM PDT

well, i agree with roddy on this, norton is a ''love/hate'' situation. i have had norton, unlike roddy, mine failed me after years of loyal service subscibtions from me. i had since then used AVG and found that it is less of a resource hog, free, and does the job just as good as norton. it updates on a regular basis, has great email protection and real time protections as well. you can find the link to that and another popular free choice, Avast!. i have had that one in the past and it was a toss up between Avast! and AVG, well, AVG won. but if you like Norton, and do want to pay for all that you recieve, then the choice is yours. it's just that i am one of those ''haters'' of it and never will i go back to it. good luck a nd surf safe. Happy
oooops, here is the link i mentioned above.... http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=101992&messageID=1170247

Collapse -
I too dislike Norton
by dawillie / May 18, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

that said, it is an internationally know AV and they do provide 'fixes' to certain types of Malware that others do not.

So it comes down to your personal taste.

IMO it is no better nor worse than other popular AV.

As long as your virus defs are current, you periodically scan using Spyware scanners such as SpyBot and Ad Aware, surf with caution and have firewall protection, it will come down to Email and attachments.

And there is a lot of informaton regarding that in this and other Forums such as this. All free for the asking and taking but a few mins of your time.

Collapse -
choice = user experience
by Lonestar / May 18, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

A lot of people seem to like free AVG and other packages, they work but have their limitations as well.

I have never seen NAV hog my resources, and it offeres much more that a free package. I have children between 9 and 17 who use my computer. NAV has kept my computer and IM clean for 2 years, it has stopped numerour srcipts from running that would cause dammage. My office pc has AVG and it doesn't detect things that NAV does.

Good luck with your decision

Collapse -
hmmmm
by dyspyzthespyz / May 18, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

not gonna go there with Norton finding things that AVG doesn't, really it has been my experience with it as just the opposite and was using it and Norton on two separate testing boxs, on Norton, after each intentional massive infection that it did nothing to prevent i had to uninstall and reinstall numerous times, and after that i had to repair damaged winsocks after each install just to get back on the web, with AVG 8 out of 10 infections were prevented and the other two after deep scanning with restore disabled, it successfully repaired or removed the infections, and no uninstall or reinstall. for a free product thats great, for a paid product such as Norton, thats what you should expect. but to the original poster of this, here is another link about Norton, AVG and others...good luck http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=77&threadID=57506&messageID=694869

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!