Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Norton acting funny

by wilburs / May 30, 2004 2:50 AM PDT

During bootup an error message comes up.
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE is not a valid Win32 application.
HOW DO I FIX THIS...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton acting funny
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton acting funny
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Norton acting funny
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2004 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton acting funny

Symantec has a Norton removal tool named RNAV that you use to remove it and then reinstall it.

As this is another post, I will make that assumption this is not the machine you posted about a 98 hang on boot.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Norton acting funny
by wilburs / May 31, 2004 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Norton acting funny

Sorry, this is the same machine. Didn't try any fixes yet.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Norton acting funny
by wilburs / May 31, 2004 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Norton acting funny

I tried the fix on Symantecs web site and it would not work with norton 2000. They told me to manually remove it from add remove programs, and it is not there. What do I do now, because there is still a lot of old norton 2000 files in windows progam. This error message satrted coming up after installing norton anti-virus 2004.

Collapse -
RNAV is not a fix. It's a removal tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2004 2:19 AM PDT

As you noted a "fix", please tell in gritty detail about what that fix was.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:RNAV is not a fix. It's a removal tool.
by terry1930 / June 1, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

I also had a problem uninstalling a version of Norton before installing a later version. When the easy removal ideas failed to completely uninstall it I went to their site and found a link on how to manually uninstall. It took over an hour to do and required editing the REGISTRY, which I was hesitant to do. However, I printed out their instructions, gritted my teeth, made a backup of the registry and did it step by step, and it worked for me.

Here's the URL for their page. Highlight the following and copy and paste it in your URL address box:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001072709142207?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=2003%20Professional%20Edition%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&csm=no&tpre=

Halfway down that page is a link for how to manually uninstall (in blue type)

If you are too techy, I suggest you call in a friend who is.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:RNAV is not a fix. It's a removal tool.
by wilburs / June 1, 2004 9:12 AM PDT

Guess what, I tried exactly that method and my system got worse. Then I tried to restore my reg and it told me it couldn't. I'm running out of patience and I need help. Now my system is saying that setup is missing a file called instopts.dat and norton won't install at all. However, this file is on my system.
Beats me.
Also during startup, windows halts and somes up with
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SAVRTPEL.VXD and
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SAVRT.VXD are missing and that windows will not run properly.
I don't know where they went or where they are, and I've tried to re-install windows to no avail and norton to no avail.
PLEASE SOMEONE GET ME ON TRACK OR THIS MACHINE IS GARBAGE.

Collapse -
I can only ask...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2004 9:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:I can only ask...
by wilburs / June 2, 2004 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I can only ask...

yes, I used the tool and think it worked however in installing norton 2004 it wont finish installation because setup is missing file instopts.dat
How do I fix?

Thanks,
Wil

Collapse -
Norton Systemworks 2003
by deanlien / December 28, 2008 9:57 AM PST

I am running rebuild of a gateway computer 1gb ram 40g disk drive and a 300gb internal hard. 2 dvd drive and 3.5 in. drive sound card etc.. I bought your Norton systemworks 2003 in year of 2003, It been a headache to uninstall this it does not correctly. I retired from a company called McLeodusa in Cedar Rapids, Ia. I have around 30 years of telecommunication work with several company (msi) I worked second level support on telco switching equipment but never had a issue where you had to remove everything in the Registry that states Symantec... Know that does not work anymore have to use your norton removal tool, I do not what your technician did..BUt it may experience with Systemworks 2003 after 5 years with the product..

-Dean L.

Collapse -
Re:Norton acting funny (recap)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

1. Symantec in their 2004 versions has found less than stellar ratings. Read http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2004.html and http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Norton_AntiVirus_2004/4852-3681_16-30521466.html?tag=dir

Notice that it was 89% negative.

Do you expect your experience to be in the 11% bracket?

2. Symantec's software may do this if an existing virus/trojan/parasite is on the machine. Tools such as Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder, Housecall and keeping LSPFIX handy if you lose the internet connectivity help clean up the machine.

Kazaa users will have to just live with their problems...

If this doesn't work then its time to jump ship. Free AVG from http://www.grisoft.com can save you time and money.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Norton acting funny
by Tufenuf / June 3, 2004 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Norton acting funny, ALL FIXED
by wilburs / June 6, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

THANKS FOR THE HELP, SYMANTEC TECH SUPPORT GOT ME THROUGH IT FINALLY BUT IT WAS A PAIN IN THE NECK.
ALL FIXED, THANKS FOR THE INFO...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.