Computer Help forum

General discussion

Norton 360 installation has crashed my computer

by ponderosa538 / November 11, 2008 6:44 AM PST

As my Norton Internet Security subscription is set to expire on 11/30, I placed an order yesterday for the Norton 360 software. Followed all the directions and downloaded the program. Installed as directed, but upon restart, got BLUE SCREEN with the following error code: STOP:0x0000007B (0xF8C95524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tried to reboot using the Windows XP-Pro installation CD, but am unable to do so. Read somewhere that because I've upgraded to Service Pack 2, the original CD is ineffective.

Asking for assistance from Symantec is like spitting into the wind, but more frustrating. Time spent in their online CHAT with a tech was fruitless. Tech offered to turn me over to a supervisor, but then cut me off and closed the chat. An attempt to ask for a refund put me into another chat room where I was queued behind 246 other people. I didn't wait.

I am not very computer savvy, but can follow directions well. Is anyone able to help me figure out how to solve this issue? Am unable to get past the BLUE SCREEN or get online with that computer.

Appreciate any help or direction - Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 installation has crashed my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 installation has crashed my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So send it back
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2008 6:56 AM PST

So send it back, demand a refund for the price of the software. Shouldn't be too hard since you haven't had a chance to activate it yet.

I do highly doubt having SP2 installed would make any bit of difference. SP2 has been around for about 3-5 years, and Norton's 360 product isn't that old.

While I can't really help you with your current problem, I'd just say get a refund for the software you bought. Honestly, you'd probably be better off with AVG Free or Avast, which are both free. You can also find pretty good rebate deals on Kaspersky AV and security suite, as well as Nod32. Two products which consistently score higher than Norton on detection rates of threats, and aren't quite the same giant bloated mess that Norton has become.

You may have to fight for the refund, but that's the sort of thing that will hurt Symantec the most, is people demanding their money back.

Collapse -
refund success
by ponderosa538 / November 11, 2008 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: So send it back

Well, Symantec certainly doesn't make it easy to get a refund. It took several hours and a long online chat with a fellow in India. The refund will be issued, but their only suggestion for getting my computer restarted is to: CALL DELL.

This is not an expense that will be easy to absorb. If anyone on the Forum can help me out, it would be most appreciated. I have the "error codes" from the blue screen.

Thanks too, for the alternative security software suggestions.

Collapse -
Personally
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2008 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: refund success

Personally, the way I see it you've got two less than desirable choices.

The first, is to just bite the bullet and format the drive, reinstall everything.

The second, is to contact Dell support, hope for a miracle.

Odds are Dell will just tell you to call Symantec, and Symantec'll tell you to call Dell. They play pass the buck so often, you almost have to wonder if there isn't some kind of collusion going on. More likely though, they just want to get you off THEIR support lines and let it be someone ELSE'S problem.

In the end, formatting and starting over will likely be much faster and far less painful. You'll be up and running without having gone insane listening to the horrible elevator music, and wasting countless hours trying to find SOMEONE who will take pity on you and try to help.

You can also try googling the error codes you get along with something like "norton 360" and see what pops up. Though usually when you start getting BSoD errors, it's time to break out the restore media for a good old fashioned formatting.

Collapse -
Reformatting
by ponderosa538 / November 11, 2008 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Personally

Thanks for your response, Jimmy.

My worry is losing all of my files. Will that happen if I reload everything? How can I recover the data files?

Also, I don't have a CD to use that has Service Pack 2 for XP-Pro. All I have is the original installation CD that I got from Dell. This computer is 4 years old.

Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Did You Try Rebooting Into Safe Mode? Or....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 9:46 AM PST

Or if possible, use the "Last Known Good Configuration" option..

For "Last Known Good", restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads, then use the up/down arrow keys to select the "Last Known Good Configuration" option, then press the "Enter" key.. If you're lucky, the computer will restore correctly back to a time when the computer was working correctly.

As to booting to Safe Mode, follow the same instructions above, except use the up/down arrows to select "Safe Mode", then press the Enter key.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No success
by ponderosa538 / November 11, 2008 10:52 AM PST

Thanks for that suggestion Grif,

I'd already tried that approach and tried the "go back" program, but the last possible restore time available was too late in the process to be able revert to a healthy time.

The Blue Screen says:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

I've tried that too and can't seem to get anywhere.

Thanks for any and all suggestions - I'm grasping at straws right now!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?