Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Norton 360 Backup

by Merl Priester / November 22, 2009 7:58 AM PST

I have a client using Norton 360 backup. It was on a Vista machine that the HD failed in. There are definitely backups to DVD, but I can't get Norton Backup to find the so called "catalog" file to open the backup.
Norton only looks at backups done after it was installed. I can't seem to find a way to get it to look at backups done off this PC.

Cutrrent OS is Win Home Prem 7 64 bit.

Norton 360 is Ver 2 just downloaded and installed a new copy.

Thanks for any help. And I did already google it and found no help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 Backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 Backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Explain more please.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: Norton 360 Backup

This is the Windows 7 forum, but you are talking about Vista backups.

Are you trying to restore Norton 360 Vista backups to a Windows 7 install?

Mark

Collapse -
Backups
by Merl Priester / November 23, 2009 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Explain more please.

The backups were done on Vista. He now has a new Win7 PC
Norton 360 is installed on the Win7 machine with the same license as before.

I want to get his documents from the backup, but I cant get Norton to let me point a path to the DVDs.

Do I need to copy a "catalog" file to somwhere on the hard drive from one of the DVDs that were previously made?

If there is a better forum ro post this one in, let me know and I'll go to that one.

Thanks

Collapse -
Please update to Norton 360 version 3
by Michael_York / November 27, 2009 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Backups

Hi Merl Priester,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton 360 version 2 is not compatible with Windows 7. One of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton 360 is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription.

The first thing you should do is to update to the latest version of Norton 360, which is version 3.5.x. Please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below to complete the process.

Norton Update Center

After the update is complete, launch Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check For Updates". If any updates are installed, restart your computer.

After the update is complete, mouse-over the "Backup" bubble and choose "Restore Files". You will then be given the option to choose the location of the backed-up files (online, optical media or external drive). Choose the correct location and you should be able to restore the files to the Windows 7 computer.

Let me know if you are successful at restoring the files or if you need additional assitance.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
Norton Help
by Merl Priester / November 27, 2009 12:19 PM PST

Thank You for your response. I will be getting back to the computer with the problem next week and I'll fix the problem.

Merl

Collapse -
Check upgrades
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 23, 2009 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Norton 360 Backup
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.