Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton 360 2.0

by mangymutt416 / June 16, 2008 6:25 AM PDT

Good day everyone,

I've recently installed Norton 360 2.0 using Vista OS. All appears to have been installed successfully.

I'm having a problem with scanning though. When I go to run a scan, it looks like it's starting up scan then where it shows running, all fields then immediately go to, "cancelled" and the scan doesn't even get going.

Any one have any idea?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 360 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 360 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is the exact version of Norton 360 do you have?
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton 360 2.0

In their Norton 360 forums:
http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=Norton_360

I'm seeing similar report/issue and the possible fix are:
1. Run LiveUpdate manually then install any available updates
2. Cleanup the temporary files

If any of these don't help, please report it to Symantec via the aboce forums. They might ask for some logs to check what's going on with your Norton 360.

Collapse -
Version
by mangymutt416 / June 16, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

Hello it's Norton 360 version 2.0 upgrade.

Prior to this, I was using Norton Internet security 2007.

Collapse -
Is that v2.3.0.9 or earlier?
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2008 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Version

You can check the version by click "Help" > "About"

Please try to do the steps I mentioned in my first reply by updating and cleaning the temporary files.

Then try to scan again and see if you could scan.

Collapse -
Did you install Norton 360 on top of ...
by Donna Buenaventura / June 16, 2008 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Version

Norton Internet Security 2007?

If yes, please uninstall Norton 360 by using the Norton Removal Tool. You can download this tool at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
The tool will remove Norton 360 and any remnants of Norton Internet Security 2007.

Important: Please save your Product Key before running the tool.

Reboot after it finished removing Norton 360.

Fresh install Norton 360 v2

Collapse -
Thanks
by mangymutt416 / June 18, 2008 2:21 PM PDT

Thanks I'll give the uninstall a try and see how it goes. I hate that it's going to eat one of my "install on 3 computer" numbers though during reinstall.

Collapse -
No
by Donna Buenaventura / June 18, 2008 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

No, it should not "use" one of your right to install on 3 PCs. Their server will be able to identify your hardware fingerprint when you sync your subscription. You can also chat with Symantec support to confirm this.

Collapse -
Solution worked
by mangymutt416 / June 24, 2008 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Thanks for all your help. I followed your suggestion by using the removal tool, followed its prompts. System rebooted and reinstallation by the system began on startup. Scanning DOES work now.

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
You're welcome!
by Donna Buenaventura / June 24, 2008 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution worked

Glad to hear scanning is fixed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?