Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton 2006 surprise

by A.L. / April 2, 2006 1:04 AM PST

I know an elderly man who from time to time asks my advice concerning his computer. (XP home)
He tried to download the Norton System works upgrade from his 2005 version to 2006.It failed repeatedly, he didn't give me details on the error messages but finally a message appeared on his screen that Norton 2006 System Works was not compatible with Spybot S&D and he needed to remove Spybot.
After removing Spybot all went well and he was successful with the upgrade.
Is there a question here? Well I would like to know if anyone else has run into this, I had nagged this cautious old guy for a year to get some spyware protection and I finally managed to talk him into Spybot and Adaware and now this!
Thanks. Ann

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 2006 surprise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 2006 surprise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup, many seen the same as per Spybot news
by Donna Buenaventura / April 2, 2006 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Norton 2006 surprise

It's known to Spybot S&D author
Please see http://spybot.info/en/news/2006-01-07.html

I don't have System Works 2006 though. All I have is Norton Internet Security 2006 and it doesnt give me message on incompatibility of the software to Spybot S&D.

Collapse -
Thanks
by A.L. / April 2, 2006 1:34 AM PST

To you both for your replies, I've sent your link to this man Donna, it might help a little to restore my credibility with him...lol Ann

Collapse -
My bet is they had Teatimer enabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 1:09 AM PST

Almost any spyware protector or old antivirus could result in this issue. Take it as a lesson learned and in my view nothing was busted. Here's why.

Said spyware protectors should lock out such changes. It could be a pest trying to disable the (old) version of Norton.

Bob

Collapse -
Norton/Symantec Has Never Played Well With Other Kids...
by tobeach / April 2, 2006 4:28 PM PDT

always wanting to be the sole boss of the play ground. Apparently not much has changed.
I agree with Bob that if you disable Tea Timer before attempting install and then re-enable, there's a chance it may work. Personally, I'd just dump Norton in favor of others who like to co-operate. Personal Opinion Only! Grin

Collapse -
I've come to that point
by A.L. / April 2, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

I've always trusted Norton and haven't had any problems personally to date but I've seen enough other people pulling their hair out trying to work with it.
I have decided when I'm due to upgrade to go with a less troublesome product.
Thanks for your input! Ann

Collapse -
Here's a Link (save) You'll Need When That Time Comes....
by tobeach / April 3, 2006 3:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
It's bookmarked
by A.L. / April 4, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

Thank you, I have read of the problems removing Norton and was already considering my plan of attack. Your link is very welcome. Ann

Collapse -
Norton 2006 & Spybot S&D
by puckster615542000 / April 4, 2006 1:33 AM PDT

I had a 1 yr Norton and renewed to the Norton 2006. All along I had Spybot S & D. Never have had a problem with "compatability". As a matter of fact, I ran my Spybot just yesterday and it found a unwanted "entry" after running Adware and Yahoo's Anti-spy!

Collapse -
S&D May Not Be the Greatest Thing... BUT...It's Honest....
by tobeach / April 4, 2006 5:11 PM PDT

Protective, Trustworthy, Usefully aaaaaaaaand Free!
Patrick & his Team deserve all the kudos & support we can offer as he fights the good fight on our behalf regardless of the nasties he's subjected to (both Legal and illegal)!! I fear few like him will pass this way again. Enjoy while we can! Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.