Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton 2005 Problems with Scan

by mufsch / July 8, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

Hi,

After I bought Norton Anivirus 2005, installed it and updated the definitions (etc.) online, I wasn't able to finish the scanning.

There were errors messages like:

Error 3601.019 (I don't remember the exact error numbers) - Norton is missing some files, click on the link, etc.

It took me to their explanation page, and I went through all their complicated advice.

Finally, I uninstalled the Norton (following their recommendations), and installed it again.

The result was the same.

I repeated this whole process six times, but only once, I was able to scan the whole HD. But ... two days later it was missing some files again - (I didn't remove anything, didn't use adaware - nothing.)

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Olinka

W 2000, 256M RAM, Compaq AMD K6
=====

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 2005 Problems with Scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 2005 Problems with Scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If we had the exact error message
by roddy32 / July 8, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

it would help but it would only give us options to check what you probably already read. Without them though, the only other option I can think of is to give you an 800 number for Norton. I have used it before so I know it works but plan on being on hold for a while.
1-800-441-7234

Collapse -
i HAve a problem to
by pimp12345 / July 23, 2005 4:17 AM PDT

Well here is my story evrytime i try to install a symantec product and ask me to restart my pc i do as it says then when the pc is restarting it comes up whith a error or restarts over and over and wont let the pc work again so to fix it i have to start the whole system again i think this happedn when i got a virus the virus made alot of back doors and torjans my pc was infected the virus even mest up symantec products i had and now that is why i can't download no more of symantec he musta overwited the whole system or what please i need help.....
Any recombenations will be aprisiated.

Collapse -
This is like trying to put
by roddy32 / July 23, 2005 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: i HAve a problem to

together a puzzle with a million pieces. You story is totally incomplete. Here are a few things that MIGHT help us to help you.
1. Exactly which Norton product are you trying to install? That includes the year of it.
2. Exactly what error messages are you getting and what are the numbers?
3. What is your operating system?
4. You stated that you had a virus. Exactly which virus and how did you get rid of it?
5. You said you had trojans? Exactly which trojans did you have and how did you get rid of them?
6. Do you have the CD for whatever your operating system? because starting from the beginning might be the easiest way to fix this.

Collapse -
Or...
by bglover51 / July 23, 2005 7:49 AM PDT

Read this, or any other security forum. You will soon discover the high dissatisfaction rate with Norton AV products (it still has a few, but ever-dwindling number of fans).

Norton products are resource-heavy, and generally are not perceived as working as well as many of the free, less resouce-intensive products currently available for download at WWW.Download.com.

Suggest you consider uninstalling Norton and installing AVG, AVAST or Anti-Vir. All are easier on your system and just as, if not more, effective than Norton. And, in all cases, a lot LESS PROBLEMATIC.

Collapse -
I highly doubt that Norton is
by roddy32 / July 23, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Or...

causing this problem. He probably never got rid of the original virus and/or trojan problem which is why Norton or probably any other product won't install now. THAT is has be fixed first before anything else but there was not enough information offered to do that unless he comes back and answers my questions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.