Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Norton 2002 S/W

by LVTADZ / November 26, 2004 5:41 AM PST

I cannot understand why my Norton Antivirus will not update since 10/04 even tho my subscription is good thru 5/2005 ?
Cannot get a response from Symantec/Norton in any way shape or form! Any suggestions ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Norton 2002 S/W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Norton 2002 S/W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Norton 2002 S/W
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Norton 2002 S/W

Support has ended from Symantec for that version because it's too old BUT you should still be able to get you Live Updates. Are you getting an error number? If you can give us a little more info about the exact problem with any error messages you are getting plus you computer and OS specs mught help, then someone might be able to help in some way.

Collapse -
by LVTADZ / November 26, 2004 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Norton 2002 S/W

When I run live update,I am connected and then the message says all products and components are currently up-to-date. Check for new updates frequently.
But when I open NSW 2002 it claims my virus definitions
are not update since 10/13/2004 and I should run live update,round and round.
All other components of NSW 2002 seem to work OK.
Windows ME,Gateway 2002,no error messages attached!
Thanks for the response so far,Ted !

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 6:46 AM PST

Hi Ted
Yes, the current defs SHOULD read 11/23/2004. Did you just notice this now? 10/13/2004 is over a month ago. Try doing what it says on this link. Start with the first suggestion in Section 2 and work your way down.

Collapse -
by LVTADZ / November 26, 2004 7:47 AM PST

I have been working on this problem for a month without any success,and I am almost ready to switch to some free A/V software ! I have followed all the directions of NSW any nothing changes the 10/13 date!
I am not sure of your instructions concerning following the links(?),but I do appreciate your response! I ahve to log off now and will check back over the weekend.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 7:59 AM PST

Sorry Ted, the reason you didn't understand my directions to start with section 2 is that I forgot to paste the link into the reply. Plain LOL Sorry about that. Once you get back online, if this doesn't help, then just post back and myself or someone else will try to help you. Yes, going to a different AV would also work but you are paid up with NAV. It would frustrate me also. This is the link.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999121613163206

Collapse -
by LVTADZ / November 26, 2004 1:27 PM PST

To Roddy32 & Yogi
Thank you very much for all the help with the
NAV 2002 problem! The support link kept telling me that my NSW was now unsupported and I must purchase the NSW 2005, but I did finally find a virus definition page that allowed me to download and run some type of
additional update installer and my NSW 2002 now indicates all virus definitions are current!

Collapse -
You are welcome LVTADZ and
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 8:24 PM PST

Hopefully you will be able to update OK now until your subscription runs out.

Collapse -
by Yogi / November 26, 2004 12:39 PM PST

I have the same as you and it is updating well if that 1 section don't help you give Norton a call i have called them before and they are more than willing to help you

Collapse -
by LVTADZ / November 26, 2004 9:08 PM PST

To Agguief
The link on your response was the one that really solved my problem,but I had to hunt it down!
Hope this will be helpful to anyone else who encounters the same difficulty!

Collapse -
by wscott21 / November 26, 2004 9:32 PM PST

I would not waste my time with Norton, and by the way, you won't get it all off your machine either, espcially if you use their uninstaller, go to:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home2.html
and us their free program and they don't install adware nor bombart you with advertisement.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.