HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

North Korea fires on South Korea

by James Denison / November 22, 2010 10:16 PM PST

Artillery against a disputed island Pyongyeoung or some name like that. Two marines dead and buildings on fire.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: North Korea fires on South Korea
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: North Korea fires on South Korea
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CNN reports
by James Denison / November 22, 2010 10:19 PM PST

Let's hope this doesn't escalate since it would increase tensions between China the Paranoid and the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/23/nkorea.skorea.military.fire/index.html?hpt=T1
Two South Korean marines were killed and 15 South Korean soldiers and civilians were wounded when the North fired about 100 rounds of artillery at Yeonpyeong Island in the Yellow Sea, South Korea authorities said, according to the South Korean Yonhap news agency.

South Korea's military responded with more than 80 rounds of artillery and deployed fighter jets to counter the fire, defense officials said.

Firing between the two sides lasted for about an hour in the Yellow Sea, a longstanding flashpoint between the two Koreas. (more in article)

Collapse -
Sore point...
by Willy / November 22, 2010 11:44 PM PST

While NK and S. Korea have been at odds, this only proves that NK can't be trusted. They did this if not to test the resolve of the US and its SK ally. It maybe an attempt to extort food, but let's not give it to him. Let's goto war, why not, let them fight on empty bellies for awhile and see how long they last. They proven already that allowing their nuclear pgm. to continue and just where is that going to lead? Any attempts at peaceful negotiations are mute if they seem to continue to wave swords at us and somewhat think its OK to engage in these actions. SK should seriously rethink their food pgm. as it maybe more feed the non-necessary people of NK and more towards their military. The SK has always been the food basket of the peninsula and the NK was hard and under commie rule never really got better. If China wants to step in, then allow them to feed NK more and more and more. Because that's will quell the discord NK to SK or will it. The young despot just wants to flex his muscle. China has started to feel the burden of supporting NK and it may want to discontinue it if NK seems hellbent on self-destruction, only it really allows them to flourish. NK is a poor excuse even for a communist country. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Is this Obama's TEST...
by EdHannigan / November 22, 2010 11:53 PM PST

that was discussed in the campaign? NK brandishing their nuclear capacity and now live fire on our ally.

Might be time to put this snarling mongrel down for good. We can do it.

Collapse -
Their President said...
by J. Vega / November 23, 2010 1:01 AM PST

The President of South Korea said "Enormous retaliation should be made to the extent that (North Korea) cannot make provocations again,".
I have a thought about if it happens again. Remember that new nuclear facility that they just revealed? A properly applied "bunker buster" bomb would send a clear message and at the same time would deal with that facility. Two birds with one stone.

Collapse -
releasing a cloud of radiation in the area?
by James Denison / November 23, 2010 1:33 AM PST

And that right on China's border? I'm not so sure that's the best approach. Easier would be to come in behind that line along the border and just start handing out food to the common people, while moving them away from any fighting. By now those people would follow a bread truck anywhere.

Collapse -
Wouldn't that be something....
by Josh K / November 23, 2010 2:54 AM PST

....Thousands of South Korean and American troops marching in and handing out food, toilet paper and all kinds of other things those people don't have enough of, not firing a shot, and starting a popular revolt.

Seems a bit idealistic but nice to think about.

A more likely retaliation will be some carefully targeted strikes on military installations and maybe the presidential palace.

Collapse -
I suspect that the only retaliation (if any)...
by Paul C / November 23, 2010 4:56 AM PST

...will be from South Korea. I have no confidence in this administration's willingness to fight, even on behalf of a long time ally such as the Republic of Korea and even if attacks are made on American military installations in the ROK - despite the fact that our failure to do so will only embolden others (e.g., China and Taiwan, Iran and Iraq) who will view our failure to do so as proof that they can make aggressive actions with no fear of adverse consequences.

We'll now see if the scenario that Hillary Clinton posited during the 2008 campaign was based on facts, won't we?

Collapse -
As it should be
by Josh K / November 23, 2010 4:57 AM PST

Sorry, I guess I should have specified that the targeted strikes (if they happen) should be carried out by South Korea.

Collapse -
I wouldn't worry about that...
by EdHannigan / November 23, 2010 2:58 AM PST

You can bomb a nuclear facility without too much radiation release. I don't think it's a densely populated area.

China can go hang. Time for them to step up and either help out or get out of the way.

Collapse -
Time for them to step up
by JP Bill / November 23, 2010 8:56 PM PST

Be careful what you ask for.

Collapse -
(NT) I like that.
by EdHannigan / November 23, 2010 2:42 AM PST
Collapse -
What will happen.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 8:37 PM PST

Whatever China thinks of it's neighbor and supposed ally, if either nation, US or S Korea invades N Korea, or bombs it, China will respond.

If the US is prepared for that, then fine, but the US had better be fully prepared.

Mark

Collapse -
What's the alternate choice?
by EdHannigan / November 23, 2010 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: What will happen.

Be pushed around? We have to stand up to them. The North Korean regime has been in power far too long.

If China is smart they will not interfere. Having a rogue nation on their border is not in their interest because it will ultimately case a conflict with us and the rest of the world.

Collapse -
Let's see, I toss my garbage
by James Denison / November 23, 2010 10:34 PM PST

into a shared dumpster, you toss your garbage into my yard and onto my house. You then equate that as the same and is just a "poke". Can you do math that is other than "equals to" such as "less than" and "more than"?

Collapse -
You didn't throw your garbage into a shared dumpster
by JP Bill / November 23, 2010 11:03 PM PST

You threw it into a disputed dumpster.

It wasn't shared...it was disputed.

South Korea poked first.

Collapse -
(NT) somebody had to use it
by James Denison / November 23, 2010 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
If we disagree over ownership of something
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2010 2:13 AM PST

should we both agree to abandon it? Well, actually...and James will probably know the passage...the Bible does suggest such but it I can't see that a "poke" justifies artillery fire as a retaliatory measure.

Collapse -
I can't see that a "poke" justifies artillery fire
by JP Bill / November 24, 2010 2:27 AM PST

I can't see that a "poke" justifies artillery fire as a retaliatory measure.

South Korea carrying out exercises NEAR disputed territory/water(FIRST poke)

North Korea asks/tells? South Korea to cease exercises NEAR disputed border.(FIRST poke by North Korea)

South Korea fires artillery shells INTO disputed waters.(Second FIRST poke?)

Then North Korea send artillery shells south (another poke)

South Korea poked hardest first.

Collapse -
I really don't see your point
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2010 2:34 AM PST

So the waters are disputed and South Korea doesn't honor the North Korean request. I think that's just the nature of disputes. If North Korea did the same and South Korea made a similar request but had it ignored, should North Korea expect an artillery shelling as well? I don't think so. That's playground behavior. Someone needs to grow up.

Collapse -
(NT) Oops...meant for JP Bill
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2010 2:56 AM PST
Collapse -
More importantly...
by EdHannigan / November 24, 2010 4:57 AM PST

who started KILLING people first?

And lets not forget the ship N Korea sank back in March, killing several S Korean sailors.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.