PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Noob help please: Replacement for NVS 290 Quadro

by Boch9976 / March 28, 2018 6:45 AM PDT

Hi
I have a Lenovo M90 i5 Desktop with 1TB, 8gb & runs win 10, recently I've been having issues with the graphics card and am looking to replace/upgrade.
This is my work machine, so work load is usually MS Office & social media clients with occasional photo editing & youtube viewing.
I've also also just changed monitor to a 23' widescreen with an HDMI socket, so would like the new card to be able to utilise this and possibly in the future go to a multi monitor format.
Not looking to break the bank on this, so looking at budget of about £100.
This is the current card: https://support.lenovo.com/sg/en/solutions/migr-69080

Boch9976 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Noob help please: Replacement for NVS 290 Quadro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Noob help please: Replacement for NVS 290 Quadro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What can you get for that much?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2018 7:26 AM PDT

As I'm not in your country, supply what you can get.

Collapse -
Clarification
by Boch9976 / March 28, 2018 8:36 AM PDT

Hi thx for the reply, I've read that 3 or 4 times and I'm really not sure what you are asking.

I'm looking for help to replace the NVS 290 ie looking for suitable suggestions.
Many thx

Collapse -
Since I'm not in your country
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2018 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

My thought is for you to supply what you can buy and we'll work that list.

My GoTo replacement card is the 1050 Ti you see all the time at say PCMR:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

The NVS series was mostly on workstations and could be many hundreds for a workstation card. I've had that discussion many times and give the nod to the 1050 Ti over and over.

But I don't know what it costs in other countries so you have to do the shopping and supply what you can find where you are.

Collapse -
1050 Ti
by Boch9976 / March 28, 2018 10:04 AM PDT

Thats about twice the budget at £189

It doesn't need to be all singing / dancing as it's workload will mainly office stuff with small amounts of social media

Collapse -
Then what can you get for your budget?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2018 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: 1050 Ti

Remember that I don't live where you are so we have to have you do the work.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Boch9976

Collapse -
Gpu
by Bob__B / March 28, 2018 7:19 PM PDT

100 pounds seems to be about $140.

Some hurdles.
Your case might be small form factor which means you will need a low profile card.

You might have a 240w psu so that will be a limiter.

Shop around for a r7 240 see what you can find.

Collapse -
Brilliant
by Boch9976 / March 29, 2018 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Gpu

Cheers Bob__B
yes the r7 240 is available from Amazon @ £63. Unless you have any other suggestions I might as well go for that.
Many thx

Collapse -
Not a bad card
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2018 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Brilliant

Fine for the uses you listed.

Collapse -
Installation
by Boch9976 / April 8, 2018 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a bad card

Bought the above card, now trying to install it. Seem s to be a catch 22 situation.

1. New card only fits when only HDMI & DVI sockets are fitted, great, job done.
2. Try to install drivers, can't do that cos card not installed in machine.
3. Install card in machine via HDMI, nothing shows on monitor so dont know if drivers are installing.
4. revert back to old card uninstall all remnants of NVIDIA so now only using basic MS driver.
5. Try to install new card again, & we're back to step 3

Conclusion:
Can't install new card cos monitor wont work without drivers, put old back in & can't install drivers for new card. ***

As mentioned I'm a relative noob to this, so is there something really simple I'm taking for granted & missing?

Collapse -
That's very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2018 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Installation

I have installed hundreds of video cards with just certain ports, HDMI, etc. All show the BIOS when booting so if you are not seeing the boot screen it's possible your machine is very old or has an out of date BIOS.

As to drivers, about half the time I have to use DDU (see google) and then install motherboard then GPU drivers. Also, many folk are too scared to update the BIOS so I get that done while we're in the shop.

Collapse -
With the greatest respect
by Boch9976 / April 9, 2018 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's very odd.

With the greatest respect @R.Proffitt I've come to learn to ignore your contribution.

Anybody reading this thread will see how condescending & unhelpful you actually are, goodness only knows how you became a mod.

Your initial contribution of "As I'm not in your country, supply what you can get." was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. What was I supposed to list, the entire contents of Amazon, Ebuyer or any other tech site?
Yet another contributor spotted I used £ as my budget, possibly indicating I might be in the UK and contributed accordingly.

Be a mod by all means, but don't contribute meaningless twoddle.

Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2018 8:33 AM PDT

This is an international forum and sometimes folk want answers for their country.

So I make a choice to converse rather that just hope someone else comes along by asking the OP to supply a list that we can compare.

Even so, I've yet to find many replies where other members do concierge shopping for others. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's too rare to expect others to do that sort of shopping for us.

As to guessing your country, that would be a guess. Why not just tell?

Collapse -
Maybe read the post..
by Boch9976 / April 9, 2018 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

@R.Proffitt
Again not really reading what I've written.

I'm not asking for concierge shopping, what I was asking for was suggestions from ppl that are better versed in these matters.
Clearly it didn't take the other participants of the thread that long to read what I'd written and:
a) Work out I was in the UK, the Pound sterling symbol is a give away £
b) Offer reasonable solutions to the problem.

Let me offer you this insight into my experience of this forum, as limited as it may be.
When a Noob is asking for help, it's because they have pretty much exhausted all sane avenues. So a little bit of empathy would be helpful.

Your interaction, was neither helpful or needed, in fact it just frustrated me because it offered nothing.
Finally, actually read a post fully including the little details, you know like currency £

Chances of me using this forum again are pretty minimal, that's how much you've spoilt it for me.

Collapse -
Sorry if I upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2018 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe read the post..

I see I did offer the usual card folk pop in place of an older Quadro. But I'm not a sales person. That is I might make a suggestion but some members want me to "sell it." Which I fail at.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?