Computer Help forum

Question

None of my USB flash drives are detected in Explorer

by RCF_Rose / January 1, 2015 7:47 AM PST

Operating system: XP Pro 64 Bit SP2

I just noticed this today however the problem may have been there for days, I've not had an occasion to use a flash drive recently. My camera and two printers, plugged into USB ports work.

The USB drive does show up in Disk Manager, will not let me change drive letter or format the drive. Says The operation was canceled due to an internal error.

In Device Manager I see a yellow error mark by Generic volume under Storage volumes. Actually there are two now, one for my printer (Unknown device). But the printer does work and communicates with my PC. The Device status for both is ... A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality (Code 32)

I don't remember installing or uninstalling anything recently. Haven't changed anything in Services. I do have Magic Jack and it is working. USB flash drives do not work whether MJ is plugged in or not. The flash drives work in another computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: None of my USB flash drives are detected in Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: None of my USB flash drives are detected in Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Reinstalling The Motherboard/Chipset Driver Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 8:05 AM PST

Be sure to unplug all USB devices, then visit the computer manufacturer, or the motherboard manufacturer's website and download, then install the latest motherboard/chipset driver for your system.

For information and other possible fixes on this issue, see the link below:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorc/a/code-32-error.htm

Unfortunately, since you haven't given us any other information about your computer, such as make and model, age of computer, etc., that's about the best guess I can muster.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hardware info
by RCF_Rose / January 1, 2015 9:42 AM PST

The mobo is a Supermicro X7DWA PCB Version. The CPUs, two of them, are Intel Xeon CPU E5410, 2.33GHz. 4GB memory. BIOS Phoenix, version 1.2c, date 11/192010 (the latest). Video NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT. 2 500GB HDDs (updated). Samsung SA300/SA350 [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n Z2WNHCLB900463, September 2011) The PC is about 6 years old and I built it myself so it really doesn't have a brand name. Anything else you need?

Collapse -
(NT) And no I haven't reinstalled any drivers yet.
by RCF_Rose / January 1, 2015 9:44 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Then Check Intel For An Updated Chipset/MOBO Driver
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 7:20 AM PST
Collapse -
How about a USB driver
by RCF_Rose / January 2, 2015 11:03 AM PST

Grif, there is something seriously wrong with this PC and I don't have a clue what it is or how it happened. I updated everything a year or so ago but went and got all the drivers from the Supermicro site anyway. They even had a USB driver. I'm told all the drivers are up to date and there is no option to install anyway. If I uninstall something it shows up in Device Manager with the yellow error mark and Windows can't reinstall it, I get the error messages saying the driver has been disabled. If I unplug and replug any USB device it shows up in Device Manager with an error. If I delete/uninstall it Windows tries to install it but gives the error message instead. What's more that box can't be closed, I have to reboot to get rid of it. One time I got a BSOD.

Can't do a sfc /scannow. When I attempt to almost immediately I get a box asking for the SP2 disk. Who has a SP2 disk for crying in the milk!? There is a Driver Cache folder, a ServicePackFiles folder and a 900 MB dllcache folder in the Windows folder. And I saw a i386 folder somewhere. Should be everything SFC needs but it can't seem to be able to find anything. I've always been able to solve any problems that came along on this PC but this has me whipped. I'm ready to restore an image of the C drive I created in October. hopefully that will solve my problem unless it's hardware related.

Thank you for your help anyway, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
64 Bit XP Was Always A Problem With Drivers
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2015 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: How about a USB driver

Hopefully, the image recovery will do the trick.

Good Luck.

Grif

Collapse -
Image Recovery
by RCF_Rose / January 5, 2015 10:55 AM PST

The recovery went great. I backed up profiles to Thunderbird, Seamonkey and Firefox before the recovery and I'm good to go. Been two days now and everything is working perfect.

Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 8, 2015 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Image Recovery
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?