Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

None of my programs are opening

by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

When I came on the computer today, the first thing that came up was a warning from Lavasoft Ad-Aware telling me something about a regkey being modified and then it said Allow or Block. I figured it was a bad thing, so I clicked block and went on. My Firefox was working fine. However, when I went to open my iTunes, nothing happened. The only program working for me was Firefox. So, I restarted my computer and all of my icons to different programs showed up as errors (I don't know if that's the right word, but none of them would open). So, since I couldn't run any of my anti-virus programs to do a scan, I went online and ran the Trend Micro House Call scan... But, each time I do it, it gets to a certain point and then my taskbar disappears and I can't get it back.

I've tried searching everywhere for a solution but they all require me downloading something which doesn't work since I can't open any windows.

This is a HUGE problem for me and it would be great if someone could help. I hope I gave enough information, but if that's not enough, I'll be glad to give more...

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: None of my programs are opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: None of my programs are opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you boot in safe mode?
by strickjh2005 / June 6, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

Then try opening the start menu and going to run. Type C:\

Once that is open go ahead and go to the program files folder.

Try opening up various .exe files. If they are still broken then it sounds like the reg edit was for explorer. Anyway do a system restore by going to start>accessories> system tools> system restore. Follow the steps.

Hope you are all set.

Collapse -
Still won't work
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

None of the exe files for my programs are opening and neither will System Restore.

When I click System Restore I get this message:

Windows cannot open this file: System Restore.lnk

And then it asks me if I want to open the file from a list or by searching the internet for the right program.

Collapse -
Re: Still won't work
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Still won't work

thesetravels, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
This Fix Really Works! Thank you Tufenuf and Kellys-Korner
by HawaiiInsider / February 10, 2013 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Still won't work

This fix really worked for me. I got my system up and running again after having tried System Restore (which in Microsoft fashion does not work). You have to go to properties on the task bar AFTER doing the kellys-korner fix (number 12 on the list).
Major Lesson:
I was searching for a software and driver for my scanner which resulted in a lot of "free download" of the software and driver. They all were NOT the driver but a software that supposedly finds the driver for you. Avoid these links as they can destroy your registry. I even did a Norton scan on these files but it did not find any problems with them. But, still, I had my registry messed up by one of these programs. I suspect that the software was unstable and caused all my icons not to work. The system tray lost all of the icons, too.

Collapse -
exefix for win 7
by scc-tech / April 17, 2013 3:34 AM PDT

I have the Exe starting issue in windows 7. The programs can open if accessing a data file (ie word opens if you open a doc file) it only occurs in one user's profile not in another user profile.

Thanks

Collapse -
Neat but troubling issue. "Corrupt Profile."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: exefix for win 7
Collapse -
Did This
by Lessynz / March 21, 2016 8:22 PM PDT

I actually did this and that is where I am left with this problem of some files not working and opening in Win 7. I even went in and deleted all alternate profiles and only left the new one. However, there is a root file system that I am unable to get to because it keeps showing the previous owner's name file in the system which is who gave me the laptop in the first place because they couldn't do anything with it anymore.

Collapse -
Good exit!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2016 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Did This

You benefited from their troubles. It's years later and if you can't fix this why not do a factory recovery so it's just like new?

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by Lessynz / March 22, 2016 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Good exit!

I managed to think around and find some other things to kind of fix it. There are other old posts about this with file extensions and things that actually work. I can't afford a factory reset and lose all of my data and I'm honestly extremely too impatient for file transferring so I can restore the entire laptop.

Collapse -
The story read as if you just got this laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2016 3:27 PM PDT

Not that it's been seasoned with files and such. Try to avoid these old posts. Top post and tell all you can.

Collapse -
I Apologize
by Lessynz / March 25, 2016 6:15 PM PDT

I am new to using C|net forums so I am really not sure how to top post on this OP. The laptop was used when I received it. It was a mess. I cleaned it up and optimized it and everything seemed to be going well for a little over a year. Then one day the backup stopped working and some other things went funky on the laptop and I had to start using the "Run As Administrator" feature to open files. I downloaded an ran an adware and a malware software, I have virus protection, I went through the registry manually trying to identify any crap files and remove them of which I took out about 15. But I am still having some issues running certain programs especially on one of my downloadable game manager applications of which used to work just fine. Now when I try to run games though Big Fish I get an error message saying< "Access violation at 0X74ABCB49 (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated." This message comes up when trying to run other random programs also.

Collapse -
"Optimize".
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 25, 2016 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: I Apologize

What did you use?
Dafydd.

Collapse -
How to top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2016 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I Apologize

At the CNET Forums page or at the forum there's a create new post or discussion feature.

Burying your plea for help in old posts makes it hidden and hard to reply.

About Big Fish. Their tech support will have been asked this before. Time to use their support.

Collapse -
Thank You
by Lessynz / March 27, 2016 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: How to top post.

Thank you R. Proffitt :). I figured out how to use the forums. As for Big Fish, they weren't much help it was instabilities within my OS. There was a lot going on with my system of which it took me several hours on end yesterday to figure out but I fixed everything and it's not happening anymore.

System Fixes:

- Updated AMD graphics display and chipsets (Radeon Crimson 64 bit).
- Installed the latest version of Python
- Ran Windows Update Diagnostics and fixed some errors there.
- Installed and updated to the latest version of Direct X
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft lasted version of Visual C++ for Windows 7 (bad or corrupted files)
- Adjusted advanced system settings Performance tab for Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
- Reinstalled Bootstrap
- Defragged
- Did a disk check for errors

Collapse -
Seen This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: exefix for win 7

Although Bob's correct about the problems with a corrupt profile, if the issue is as simple as a broken .lnk or .exe file association, the link below should allow you to fix them. (Use the LNK fix first to fix broken shortcuts, then the use .exe fix if the first fix doesn't get it done.)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Remember though, many times, broken file associations are caused by malware.. If you haven't already, download, install, update, then run full scans using BOTH of the free programs at the links below. Delete anything they fine and see if it helps the overall problem.

Malwarebytes
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not Working
by Lessynz / March 21, 2016 8:19 PM PDT

I am having the same issue with my HP Laptop. I Google some things that led me here to CNET and this forum post. However, when I click on the link it isn't taking me any place. It seems the link is dead. But I would like to get my computer back running as it should. It just isn't opening programs anymore like it should. Even when I c lick "Run As Administrator" it still is not allowing me to open some programs.

I did a registry cleaner because one of my synched browsers had several mal/ad ware files attached to it and it kept putting them on my laptop each time I load the Chrome browser. Though the issues are now resolved I can't get a lot programs to run. I finally was able to make the Restore program work but I don't have old enough backup files to correct what is going on right now. If there is another live link you can post that works, please can you post it? Thanks in advance. I am a DIY kind of girl in all things especially mechanically and technical.

Collapse -
This post is years old. Start a new post
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2016 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Working

If the priors here don't help.

Collapse -
The usual fixes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry, but I'm still a little confused
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: The usual fixes.

Okay so I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it and then the file inside obviously didn't work. So I followed the instructions at the top to open REGEDIT and that worked but I'm not sure where to go from there...

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, but I'm still a little confused
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

thesetravels, Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open. See my other reply above.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thanks!
by thesetravels / June 6, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

Ah thank you soo much! It worked! There's still a few problems, but everything's fine.

Thank you :).

Collapse -
Re: Thanks!
by Tufenuf / June 6, 2007 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?