Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

non stop popups

by peterkeila / March 13, 2008 4:32 PM PDT

CONSTANT POP-UPS:
-----------------

"Spyware Alert - Security Warning!
Worm.Win32.NetSky detected on your machine. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and Active-X objects. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers e-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data.
This process should be removed from your system.
Type: Virus
System Affected: Windows 2000, NT, ME, XP, Vista
Security Risk (0-5): 5
Recommendations: Click Yes to remove it from your PC immediately.
Yes/No"

"Microsoft Internet Explorer
NOTICE: Your system is not optimized and your computer performance is not at the highest level.
Full system optimization will greatly increase your computer's performance and prevent data loss.
Would you like to install SystemErrorFixer to optimize your computer's performance now for free? (Recommended)
OK/cancel"

"Windows Security Alert - Windows has detected an Internet attack attempt... Somebody's trying to infect your PC with spyware or harmful viruses. Rull full system scan now to protect your PC from Internet attacks, hijacking attempts and spyware! Click here to download spyware remover for total protection. OK/Cancel."

"The page at http://scanner.malwarealarms.com says:
Privacy and Spyware protection is not found on your computer. Security center has detected that your private information could be sent to a remote computer. We recommend you to update your security system and install MalwareAlarm antispyware removal kit.
Click OK to view Security Center warning window
OK"

HOW DO I FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: non stop popups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: non stop popups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Expert But....This Looks Like A Better....
by tobeach / March 13, 2008 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: non stop popups

than usually crafted phony malware alert. Refers to REAL Netsky (no capital S) to make more believable. Yes you are infected & the guy warning you gave it to you!!

IF it was the real netsky, ANY Real AV , even last updated at end of 2007, would have caught & stopped it. Who's AV are you using & have you scanned with it?? Do not click on supplied link in warning as it'll just download even more trouble.

You can try removal with Super Anti-Spy (Free). A little slow but very thorough. See if you can run it in Safe Mode if you can't find the problem running via task manager to stop it for removal.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

It may be removable by Siri's Smitfraud Fix:
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

Or Malwarebytes Rogue Remover program (also has Free version):
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

Let us know how it goes please! Happy

Collapse -
Appears to be a
by JonathanCase / March 13, 2008 5:55 PM PDT
In reply to: non stop popups

rogue software of the family of spysherrif (a variant, I believe, of spywarequake, spyaxe) and in your case, "spyshredder".
(I say "believe" because I am no expert at this.)
These are installed on the machine by a trojan downloader, the time it happened to me it was a variant of the Zlob trojan, and a bit of a pain to get rid of.
Whatever AV you have, I'd be inclined to run a full scan in safe mode.
I would download Superantispyware, install, update it, and run a full scan straight away, quarantining anything found. This application has a good reputation for removing this kind of infection.
No doubt the real experts will reply here in due course, but those would be good first steps.
There may well be a bit of a "procedure" to follow, using a few different tools/scanners, restarting, unlocking particular files, turning off system restore etc, so maybe be prepared for a few hours work on this.
Afterward, it would pay to get all your vulnerable applications up to date, and installing security software if you don't already have it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.