General discussion

Non-Internet Modem use.

Ok, for some time now I've connected with the Internet using a Broadband Cable connection, with my computer's modem remaining basicly unused. However a few days ago my Fax machine broke down, and I suddenly thought, Hey, can't my modem handle that job, plus my answering machine's too? So, I downloaded a program designed for this purpose, and it didn't work right. I downloaded another, it failed to work, I suspected my Modem wasn't doing it's job right, got a replacement, it didn't work, and neither did the second replacement I got assuming the first one wasn't working right.

Ok, am I missing something in the corse of Modem Shoping? What should I be looking for?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Non-Internet Modem use.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Non-Internet Modem use.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a Voice Modem.

And to tip you off, such are not perfect. Faxing usually is 99% there, I've yet to see it work as well as any wallymart answering machine.

Bob

- Collapse -
Fax Modem, External Answering machine.

Thanks. It's probably best to keep my regular answering machine, but if I could make use of the Modem for sending and recieving Fax's that would help with both cost and desktop clutter. So the trick here is figuring out the best way to set up my Fax/Modem software to work with my Answering Machine (Which I curently have off the output port in my moden) Naturally this is something that will vary from program to program, but knowing the right terms does help ask the right questions.

So, I'm assuming that I'll be needing my Modem to check for Fax tones as my answering machine picks up, interupting if their detected, and not interfering if not.

- Collapse -
close, but

A modem is not necessarily a FAXing device.
There are different standards involved.

Most modems have capabilities to do FAXing,
but that does not mean they all do.

A modem that is capable of FAXing requires following CCITT v.17 and/or v.29 and maybe one or two other standards.

And it is not just tones either; there are negotiating standards also, at least.

I would have thought that a good communications package, capable of FAXing as well, would query the modem to ensure that the modem could FAX, and at what speeds.

- Collapse -
You are assuming right BUT...

CNET Forums

Forum Info