Phones forum

General discussion

Nokia phones compatible with Sprint PCS

by snoopy3412 / January 25, 2006 3:08 AM PST

The only Nokia flip phone that Sprint carries is the 3155i and you can only get it on their website. I've been looking on ebay for cheaper prices and I've run into another Nokia, the 6101 that Sprint does not carry but many of these auctions say the phone is compatible with Sprint or any other carrier in the world that supports 850/1800/1900 GSM. I don't know what this actually means. I talked with Sprint customer service and they said the only phones that work under their service are the ones that say "Sprint" on the phone.
If anyone is very very knoweledgable on this subject, please let me know if this Nokia 6101 would in fact be compatible.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nokia phones compatible with Sprint PCS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nokia phones compatible with Sprint PCS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gsm phone on sprint
by sandykync / January 25, 2006 8:25 AM PST

Sorry to tell you this but Sprint phone use the CDMA technology, and the Nokia phone you want to use is a GSM phone, these are totally different technologys. It would be like trying to use a vhs tape in a dvd player. It would work unlocked or not.

Collapse -
by snoopy3412 / January 25, 2006 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Gsm phone on sprint

i see what you're saying. thank you for your response. so, if i ever see a phone that has CDMA technology, will it work with Sprint? or are there different types of CDMA as well? i'm obviously uneducated with this subject.
thank you again.

Collapse -
It should
by sandykync / January 26, 2006 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: cdma

but i would try to find a sprint cell phone if you get a phone from another company make sure it is unlocked, but the problem with that is you wont be able to get on the internet with another cell companys phone

Collapse -
by mister_lay_z / January 26, 2006 10:55 PM PST

when looking at phones, you MUST look at phones that are compatible with sprint. GSM is cingular and t-mobile. those phones require SIM cards to operate.
CDMA phones are verizon,sprint, etc. these carriers run on networks, not sim cards. so keep in mind, before you go wasting my time, do some research !!!

CANNOT use ANY gsm phone with sprint or vice-versa

Collapse -
thank you!
by snoopy3412 / January 27, 2006 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: GSM and CDMA

wow thank you so much for that wonderful and helpful input. it's a shame that you believe i "wasted your time." what's funny is if you bothered to track the forum you would have seen that a very considerate lady already helped me and answered my question very kindly. i don't recall twisting your arm to post a response so if you get a clue, the only time you've wasted is your own.
again, thank you so much and have a blessed day!
(no response necessary)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?