Question

Nokia Lumia 1520

Hi, I wanted to know about the future updates of Nokia Lumia 1520.
Now the rumoured CORTANA might come up next year, along with "threshold" and other small updates. So I wanted to know will the 1520 be compatible with all the major updates coming up in atleast the next 2 years?
Maybe you tech people will have an idea. I just wanted to know about this since I was planning to buy it sometime now. Since it is a "Quad Core Processor" powered device, it SHOULD handle everything Microsoft does with the platform after the deal is over with Nokia . And this is the best windows phone device yet.
Your opinion, thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Nokia Lumia 1520
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Nokia Lumia 1520
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just so we're clear. Have you seen Microsoft's past updates?
- Collapse -
Haha, I get what you mean. But I am asking about the phone.

Well, you are right about the number of updates from MS and the frequency of updates is actually very low indeed. That's what made me confuse, because Nokia recently released an update of their own( I think it was named BLUE and people were thinking it was Microsoft providing the updates ). And there were talks about "GDR3" update from MS, which still hasn't been realeased in some phones.
So yes, if you could tell me the previous updates of WP8, I might get an idea about their future UPDATES!
In my point of view they really cheated Nokia. You won't expect something like this from such a company.
But if Windows phone has to survive, they NEED to have important upgrades or at least updates. Just like the Windows 8.1 for PC( which still hasn't solved certain issues ).
Can you tell me what is expected the coming year(if you have a rough idea).
Thanks for your reply.

- Collapse -
Look to the past for the future.

What I see for WP7 and WP7.5 updates is nothing after a few months. It looks like MSFT is not going to do as well as say Google did for the Nexus. In fact, why not the Nexus if you want a phone with updates for 2 years?
Bob

- Collapse -
Bob, finally Microsoft is doing something!

The WP 8.1 "leaks" so far look quite impressive. They are really working now. It's good to see that.
And MS has it seemed promised that ALL current LUMIA phones will get 8.1 no matter what the hardware configuration is. Neat.
But i only hope that the "Quad-core" devices get a free upgrade to WP 9 (whenever that is). Grin
"Look to the past for the future". Hope you go wrong this time for this Bob (in a good way). Haha Laugh

- Collapse -
Impressive history.

Let's hope they provide updates this time rather than telling use to replace the pretty new phone.
Bob

- Collapse -
Exactly Bob. "Impressive history"

And by the way, have other Verizon branded phones previously been released across the world. Now that the Lumia Icon is going to be released in US, i wanted to if previous phones have been made available across the globe. As i find the Icon better for me compared to the 1520( since i have smaller hands and thats a 5" phone).
Thanks Bob.

CNET Forums

Forum Info