Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Noisy Fan

by Eve24 / April 2, 2006 6:52 AM PDT

I recently had to reinstall a new hard drive. Since then, my computer has been very noisy. I narrowed it down to the fan, but WHY would that happen, and what can I do about it? It's so annoying, I cannot leave my computer on for any period of time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Noisy Fan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Noisy Fan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possibly
by crazeebob2000 / April 2, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Noisy Fan

A heat issue? When I Play a game on mine, after a while everything gets hotter and one of my fans kicks into high and makes a lot of noise. It dosen't happen if I take off the side cover. Maybe the thermal interface material on your heatsink wasn't spread out properly? Just a thought, Good luck.

Collapse -
Please tell us WHICH fan!!
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2006 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Noisy Fan

Most computers have at least two, one in the power supply [some PS's have two fans]. Then, of course there must be a fan on the CPU's heatsink.

Is the noise simply that of the fan running at high rpm, or is it a case of the bearing/bushing getting worn and the fan blades wobble a little and striking the outer part of the fan assembly??

Gently touch the center of the fans hub and report what happens. Very easy to replace a fan, just be sure to use ones with dual ball bearings for better life.

Any chance that when you replaced the hard drive, you ran the ribbon cable so that it totally blocked airflow inside the case and now things are running hot???

Collapse -
Noisty Fan
by Eve24 / April 2, 2006 10:45 AM PDT

Thanks for your suggestions! It's the Power Supply fan. It is always loud, so not a heat related issue. The cable is clear of it, and it doesn't seem to be a "wobble." Is it difficult or expensive to replace this thing?

Collapse -
Power supply fans can be replaced
by inclusive-effects / April 2, 2006 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Noisty Fan
Collapse -
Tough question to answer.
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2006 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Noisty Fan

I certainly can, and one can buy replacement fans, simply need to know the diameter [in mm] and the width [thickness].

Many hear horror stories about the capacitors in the supply holding a charge and shocking you. Really no danger. The problem is that if you were to touch the capacitor lead with a metal screwdriver blade and the other part of the blade touches a ground [any metal], the discharge current will melt the end of the screwdriver and throw sparks and scare the living hades out of you. However, that is a short circuit condition [very low resistance]. BUT, if you were to touch the lead and ground, your body resistance is typically 14,000 ohms and the amount of current would be not noticed. Basically the highest voltage on a charged capacitor might be 35 volts or so.

Navy specifications do not require protection for contact points until they get to 75 volts. The highest voltage on the outputs section of the supply is 12 Volts [the same as your car's battery]. You can touch that all day without any harm.

The wiring to the internal PS fan may be soldered to a 12 volt point. Thus possibly would be nice to have simple soldering equipment.

The other possiblity is to buy a new supply.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?