Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

noisy computer & zip drive question

by Kelray / December 17, 2004 3:34 AM PST

I have two questions here.
1.the last couple days when I turn my computer on it is making a very bad noise. It sounds to me like something has a bad bearing or something. The computer boots up fine and the noise gradually goes away after a minute or two. I have never had a problem with the hard drive on a computer before.I am just wondering with this vague description if somebody would have an idea what might be going wrong. I am hoping it is just the cooling fan going bad. But like I say I've never had a hard drive go bad so maybe it is that. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2.I think I know the answer to this, but since I am writing I might as well ask to make sure. A friend of mine just gave me an external Iomega zip drive. It is one that uses a parallel cable. On the back there are two parallel connectors. One labeled zip and the other labeled computer. When I am hooking it up I assume I should run the parallel cable from the computer to the zip connector right. I assume the connector labeled computer is for me to hook a printer or something to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: noisy computer & zip drive question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: noisy computer & zip drive question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad fan
by Yew / December 17, 2004 6:37 AM PST

First thing you need to do is open the case and try to figure out which fan is making the noise. It could be either the CPU fan or (one of) the case fan(s). You can just stick your finger into the case fan(s) to stop them for a bit (it won't hurt unless for some reason yours is metal), and see if that stops the noise.

DO NOT do the same thing to the CPU fan, because that could damage the CPU. If it's not the case fan(s), then it's probably the CPU fan, and you'll need to buy a replacement. If you have any kind of warranty on your system, this would be a good time to use it.

Collapse -
fan noise?
by Kelray / December 20, 2004 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Bad fan

a fan going bad will only make noise at boot up? The noise only lasts for a minute or two when I first turn the computer on. I haven't turned the computer off for four days and haven't heard one noise.

Collapse -
Wrong Zip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 6:47 AM PST

The only reason for that old parallel port Zip drive is if you absolutely must read an old Zip 100MB diskette.

Do not inflict this slug on your system...

Bob

Collapse -
similar problem here
by bonz / December 19, 2004 11:14 AM PST

My CPU fan was slowing down and speeding up and making a bad bearing grinding noise. I replaced the fan. A day or to later the problem started again. It ran like this for a couple of weeks. Today it completely stopped! I swaped in the old fan it doesn't run either. I have heard this could be a power supply problem or a bios problem, but the rest of the machine works fine. I did a voltage check and got 5V Red to Black. 5V Yellow to Black and 0.22V yellow to red. Is there something on the motehrboard that regulates the speed of the fan? What is the yellow wire for? The old computer had only two wires.
Thanks
Chris

HP pavillion 7440
Celeron 766Mhz
win XP Pro
MB: Cognac 20000731 Mat no: 115661

Collapse -
Bad Noise
by lucy-ann / December 28, 2004 11:07 PM PST

Dear Kelray:
The situation you describe is exactly what
I am observing with my P4 desktop PC.
The loud groaning sound is heard only
at boot up.
I am curious to know if you have solved
your noise problem.
Thanks,
lucy-ann

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!