Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Noise - all day and all night

NOISE, and we love it. The distant muffled roar of motorcycles, on the highway several blocks away, day and night.

You?ve undoubtedly heard of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. This is a mini version in Ruidoso, New Mexico, about 45 miles from my town. I don?t know how many bikes, or from how far away, but they number in the thousands.

The Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally, Sep 17 - 21: http://www.motorcyclerally.com/page16.htm

I guess those who own motorcycles ?like to ride?. Anything, and everything within a 100 mile radius of Ruidoso will see their share of ?tourista?s? during this week.

There are motorcycles going both directions on the 4-lane highway, day and night. Motorcycles run with the headlights on all the time. On this level and straight highway, I have seen a line of bike headlights that extends for at least three miles at a time. They are courteous and safe operators. They ride usually only on the outside lane.

Bikes of every description, representing heavy investments. Two and Three wheelers. Some with a mini-trailer in tow. Probably 95% are being ridden by two people - couples. I found it interesting that most of the riders that I observed up close in restaurants, are of ?empty nester? age, including many retired.

Businesses, particularly restaurants, are very busy all the time.

The White Sands Balloon Fiesta, at the White Sands National Monument, is scheduled for Sep 20 - 21. The launch of several hundred brightly colored hot air balloons, within an hour or so at daylight, against glistening white sands is spectacular, to say the least. Hundreds of the bikers take in the show, if only as an excuse for a 120 mile round trip ?ride? for the day.

The Tularosa Basin Wine Festival, sponsored by several Chambers of Commerce, is also scheduled for Sep 20 - 21, in a very large park adjacent to the highway, in Alamogordo, between Ruidoso and White Sands. Bikes are parked, circling the park.

Here in ?booney town? Tularosa, our only offer is a large Travel Center - gas pumps; convenience store; gift store; and restaurant. We are just about half way between Ruidoso and anywhere else south or west. Too many parked bikes to count at a glance, throughout the day and evening.

The ?noise? only reminds us this is a ?cash flow fiesta? weekend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Noise - all day and all night
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Noise - all day and all night
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A wee bit off topic but...

In reply to: Noise - all day and all night

Your post reminds me of a story about bats. They wondered if bats could still hear insects if they were near a very busy highway. Amazingly enough, they can.

Collapse -
(NT) ... and bats, too- not far from Mac. Carlsbad Caverns.

In reply to: A wee bit off topic but...

Collapse -
Very big in New Hampshire too...

Collapse -
There you have it, folks, from the Southern NM C of C!

Happy

Ruidoso ("noisy" in Spanish) is a nice town. Like Santa Fe, it's a "City Different", but without the snottiness.
Those three-wheelers are notoriously unstable; hope they're OK.
We were there for some kind of festival that featured inter alia a book festival and draft horses. Go figure!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.