HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No xp disks, no winnt.exe, no winnt32.exe

by bpat22 / March 13, 2008 2:13 PM PDT

I need to replace my HD and am trying to figure out if it's possible to make a copy of the OS I'm currently running without the original XP disks. What are my options?

I've seen where some ppl have put the winnt.exe and winnt32.exe files on a floppy to restore the OS, but my HD doesn't have those files. Is it possible to copy/backup my OS (XP pro) without these files?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No xp disks, no winnt.exe, no winnt32.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No xp disks, no winnt.exe, no winnt32.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copying disks.
by Kees Bakker / March 13, 2008 6:43 PM PDT

Should work in one of the 2 ways:
1. Use the 'clone' program that comes with the new hard disk.
2. Use a program like Acronis True Image to make an 'image' on a another medium (like an external hard disk) and put that back on the new drive.

Kees

Collapse -
What make and Model of computer do you have?
by PudgyOne / March 13, 2008 7:06 PM PDT

Some computers allow you to make disks. Some have backup partitions and some companies will send you the disk. Some FREE and some for a fee.

Rick

Collapse -
Quite easy,huh?
by panther_stalking / March 13, 2008 7:40 PM PDT

Just Ghost your system and burn the .gho file onto a disc.And depending on your system's actual size,the disc would be CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW.:)

Collapse -
follow up1
by bpat22 / March 14, 2008 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite easy,huh?

Thx.

It's a Toshiba Portege 4010 laptop. I've already used the Backup Utiity program that came with the System Tools folder to create a .bkf file that contains the System State folder. If I just need to create a boot disk for XP, exactly what fies/folders do I need to put on a CDR-RW disk? Or would the entire .bkf file work as a boot disk?

If not, would creating the .gho file work as a boot disk?

Collapse -
Re: follow up
by Kees Bakker / March 14, 2008 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: follow up1

What exactly do you want to do? That's unclear to me.

You started with asking how to clone a disk. You don't seem to listen to what has been told above and now you ask how to make "a boot disk for XP". What do you mean with that?

Kees

Collapse -
clarify
by bpat22 / March 14, 2008 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: follow up

I'm getting a new hard drive , which is coming with no OS on it for this laptop, and want to load XP onto it. Asked how to copy XP because i don't have any original XP disks to load to this new hard drive. Sorry, I haven't ever loaded an OS to a new hard drive, but I'm thinking that making a copy of the OS and making a boot disk were the same thing?

Collapse -
clarify2
by bpat22 / March 14, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: follow up

I don't understand how a "clone" program on the new hd would work. I wouldn't be able to have the old and new hd's loaded simultaneously.

I did look at the user guide for the True Image software, but still don't get if it's able to copy just the OS and have it used as a boot disk.

Thx.

Collapse -
Re: cloning
by Kees Bakker / March 14, 2008 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: clarify2

Put the new drive in an external enclosure, so you can connect it to your laptop via a USB port. Those are USD 25 or such. Then use the clone utility that comes with the new drive (or that you can download from the makers site - or use any program you like from http://www.google.com/search?q=clone+hard+disk, sorry, I don't have personal experience with such software, so I can't recommend anything).

After swapping the old and the new hard disk you've got an external hard disk, which is quite useful for backup or file exchange.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
usb hub
by bpat22 / March 14, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cloning
Collapse -
usb external enclosure
by bpat22 / March 14, 2008 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cloning

I mean "external enclosure" . The new seagate hd has an ATA-100 interface. So if I buy a usb external enclosure that has an IDE internal interface would that work?

Collapse -
They come in sizes.
by Kees Bakker / March 15, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: usb external enclosure

Suitable for either a 3.5" (desktop) or a 2.5" (laptop) drive. Choose the right one. Don't you have a local computer shop to go to?

Kees

Collapse -
No xp disks, no winnt.exe, no winnt32.exe
by alfredito / March 15, 2008 10:28 PM PDT

I have both disks xp home and xp pro
many PCs or laptops have 2 different serials the one in the upc sticker will let you install the OS and the one inside the system will let you activate the OS. use magic jellybean to get the inside serial number
as soon as you are the new owner for any reason you may need to re-install the original OS if you didn't make a back up copy.you can
go to the store were they sell puters and show them the UPC sticker and they can sell you a copy of the OS for just about $10.00

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.