Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

No word wrap...

by bently / March 2, 2006 1:17 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No word wrap...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No word wrap...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's because of the link...
by John.Wilkinson / March 2, 2006 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: No word wrap...

This is an issue between the forum software and how various browsers recognize and handle links. In order to preserve the integrity of the link the URL is not wrapped, which can have strange consequences. For instance, in Firefox the URL is not wrapped at all, forcing the bounds of the message to be streched, and then the text follows suit. In Internet Explorer, the URL is wrapped once, at the question mark. The rest of the URL still stretched the bounds, but the text retains it's 'shape.' It's 'normal,' but quite exaggerated inthat example. The only way around this is to use TinyURL or, preferably, BBS coding, to make the URL short and sweet. You can click here for more info.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks John, appreciate info
by bently / March 3, 2006 1:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Word Wrap
by phil66 / March 3, 2006 3:44 AM PST

Ben

I complained about this months ago and was told by "lee" this was very low priority on his list.

With all the problems at each new update we may never get any fix.

Ray

Collapse -
There used to be
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Word Wrap

a Firefox add-on or extension that would word-wrap these links.

I set mine up as a toolbar button, and everytime I came across a post with a long url, I just clicked the button and it word-wrapped it.

But then I upgraded Firefox! I lost all the add-ons and have been searching for this one ever since.

Mark

Collapse -
Here's one...
by John.Wilkinson / March 3, 2006 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: There used to be

I didn't think of it when I submitted my above post, but now that you mentioned it Mark, I guess it wouldn't hurt me too much to note that last month a new extension was released that does just that. The extension is MR Tech Link Wrapper, and is the only one I know of that doesn't have issues with the latest version of Firefox. It's one of the couple dozen extensions I can't live without. Happy

Enjoy!
John

Collapse -
MR Tech Link Wrapper,
by phil66 / March 3, 2006 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Here's one...

John

Thanks for the link
This also works in Linux Kubuntu os and w/Firefox

Thanks
Ray

Collapse -
Here's one
by taboma / March 3, 2006 2:39 PM PST

John, for the PC or Mac? Or both?

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Firefox...extensions are very rarely OS-specific.
by John.Wilkinson / March 3, 2006 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: Here's one
Collapse -
I "LOVE" you!!!!!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 5:32 PM PST
Devil

Er........, well ok, perhaps love is too strong a word, but I will follow you around like a puppy!

It works perfectly.

Mark
Collapse -
Ah, well...
by John.Wilkinson / March 4, 2006 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: I "LOVE" you!!!!!!

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the US litigation comes after marriage, not before. Wink And besides, I'm sure you're a nice-enough guy, but I believe opposites attract.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Grin
John

Collapse -
I hesitate to install because
by John Robie / March 4, 2006 2:37 AM PST

of a posters comment in Mr Techs site:

"Not perfect
by Mike, February 20, 2006 9:51pm

Well, it works - but it increases loading time of websites and makes scrolling choppy, so I deaktivated it until maybe a better version is released."

Also, the link states:
Requires: Firefox: 0.9.x - 1.6a1
and I have 1.5.0.1 which is supposed to be the latest.

Not that big of problem for me, so when it rarely happens I'll just continute to use "Tiny URL". Thanks anyway for your good posts that you make.

Spellbound spellchecker does not work anymore for me and checking reveales Spellbound does not work for Firefox 1.0.4 and not compatible with 1.5 as of 03-03-06.
Is there any other spellchecker that will work for the latest Firefox. I have a good spellchecker for IE and my email.

Collapse -
Robie The site indicates it is for
by phil66 / March 4, 2006 2:54 AM PST

0.9 thru 1.6a.

I have download to Firefox 1.0.7 and Firefox 1.5.0.1 and both are working very well. It also said you had to click on the link to actvate the word wrap.

It performs the operation after you open the page on its own.

I am using on Linux and Windows.

Ray

Collapse -
No worries...
by John.Wilkinson / March 4, 2006 3:37 AM PST

John,

I've been using it for a while now without issues. With MR Tech Link Wrapper the page will load just as fast as it normally would and for a brief second you'll see the URL as one large line before it 'snaps into place.' I have no problems with scrolling.

The only issue is with the extension Linkification (which I also use). By default, Linkification will not turn the entire URL into a link automatically when the URL is wrapped. That can be overcome by using the 'thorough mode' noted on the download page. However, that does slow down the page loading and can make it a little choppy when crolling, so I'm assuming that's what the one user was referring to. As long as you don't want to use Linkification on wrapped URLs you're fine.
--------------------------------------------------------
Firefox 1.6a1 is the latest developer/nightly/alpha build that will eventually become Firefox 2.0 around mid-year. It's just a note for those working on the project that the extension is compatible with the latest and greatest.
--------------------------------------------------------
Finally, the best spell-checker for Firefox 1.5.0.1 is SpellBound 0.9.8.20060108. Official development of SpellBound has been dead since version 0.7.3, which was released mid-2005, but a third-party has picked up the project and brought it up to speed. The SpellBound development version can be downloaded by clicking here. It's not perfect, but it does a great job and is the best available to my knowledge.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John, just returned from a relatives
by John Robie / March 4, 2006 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: No worries...

wedding, 200 mile round trip, reason so late answering.

Collapse -
I learned about the forum link wrap in Nov 2003
by John Robie / March 4, 2006 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Word Wrap
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?