Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

No wireless/wired net access

by vector03 / June 23, 2010 1:57 AM PDT

I've been using wireless internet for months with my new computer which has Windows 7 64-bit. Today I disabled the wireless security for a bit, then tried to enable it, now I can't connect to anything. The problems are: 'The DNS server isn't responding' and 'Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP config'. My wireless icon keeps switching between a yellow exclamation point icon and a circular blue loading icon. It says it's connected but I cannot browse the net, I can access my router information though. My router/modem are definitely on and connected. I've done many power cycles on those and my computer. My modem is Comcast and my router is a Netgear WPN824 V2. The router has the most recent firmware.

Here is my ipconfig data:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Vector03>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7138:eac7:eba3:d54%27
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::915e:2a4d:5cb9:4969%19
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{5BC80DD5-8395-4422-B6B4-96F91AF43BB9}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8CB200DA-89BF-49B0-8E71-D0F46C715F37}:

Please help, I need the internet on my computer to be able to do work. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No wireless/wired net access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No wireless/wired net access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No wireless/wired net access
by vector03 / June 23, 2010 9:29 AM PDT

I figured out a bit more about my problem. It almost has to be a problem stemming from a large electrical storm that happened yesterday, which I'm certain damaged my previous router, which I've since replaced with a new WNR2000. The old router and surge protector is gone, but I still cannot connect via wired or wireless. Perhaps this sheds more light on the problem.

Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 9:54 AM PDT

For comcast you must power down the cable modem, move the ethernet to the PC or router then power up the cable modem then the router or PCs.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.