Peripherals forum

Rant

No Windows 8 Drivers for Canon Selphy

by cnethenry / January 22, 2013 5:56 AM PST

I find it absurd that Canon has decided NOT to produce Windows 8 drivers for its Selphy line of compact dye sub printers. These $100 marvels were remarkable. I've bought them for lots of friends and family. Now they're effectively paperweights for anyone that upgrades to Windows 8 that uses Photoshop or Lightroom. Canon should be ashamed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Windows 8 Drivers for Canon Selphy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Windows 8 Drivers for Canon Selphy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 6:04 AM PST

Why must we wipe out all those drivers and apps each version? It's not like we changed from x86 to ARM. (well, we did on Win 8 RT)

Collapse -
The decision
by cnethenry / January 22, 2013 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Or Microsoft.

Got it right from the manager of support for Canon when I kept on pressing the tier 1 tech for an answer. My only conclusion is that they must be thinking of dropping the whole dye sub product line. Canon sold a lot of these printers, so I can't be alone in this frustration.

Collapse -
HP made a similar move years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: The decision

Are you remembering the history here?

Consumers are usually unaware, don't care about this but this is a discussion forum and it's not a new issue but as you know, this story does seem to repeat.

If you want work arounds, there are a few usual solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
I looked around and can't find that "decision."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 6:11 AM PST

I have friends that write drivers and their lawns are getting rather tall this year. By the way, please don't ask for XP MODE in Windows 8. MSFT apparently is trying to drop more "legacy" this round and the results are in.
Bob

Collapse -
You can make it work
by MrCetirizine / February 23, 2013 5:55 AM PST

My CP900 is working fine under Windows 8.
It's a bit of a pain getting the drivers installed but it works.

Essentially you disable driver signature enforcement then install the drivers with Windows 7 compatibility.

From the Charms bar, select Settings then Change PC Settings.
Select General and scroll down to Advanced Startup and click restart now.
From the menu, select troubleshooting then Advanced Options then windows startup options.
Restart again and select number 7, Disable driver signature enforcement.

Your PC will boot up as normal.

Now Right Click the driver file and select troubleshoot compatibility.
Go through the procedure and tell it that the driver worked in Windows 7

It should then install and work, there may be an error at the end but it still works.

Once you reboot again the driver enforcement is reverted but the printer still works.

Collapse -
Does this workaround still work?
by ewelld / May 12, 2013 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: You can make it work

I tried the same steps on my Windows 8 PC, and it seems there's some hard coded dialog popping up stating "This driver does not work in Windows 8", despite following the steps for compatibility mode, for Windows 7.

Anyone else facing the same problem?

Collapse -
You can make it work
by MayDur / June 19, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

Thank you MrCetirizine! You are a genius! I was able to install my CP800 and CP810 on my win 8 laptop. I was going to buy a new printer but was lucky to have seen your post.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by DrLarryHiner / August 27, 2013 11:06 AM PDT

Thanks! That did work!

Just remember to download the correct processor (32 v 64 bit) for Win 7 - the 32 bit version reports an error; but the 64 bit proceeded to install under the troubleshooting protocol.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Isskall / January 17, 2014 4:19 PM PST

I followed your steps and it still works 2014-01-18.

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Thank you so much for posting this!
by kg6je / May 22, 2014 4:07 PM PDT

When I finally figured out where to navigate to these places on Win8 (My General Nav Problem) this trick worked like a champ! A key point is the using the Compatibility Troubleshooter to get it to run in Win7 mode. I tried it without doing this step a few times, and of course it did not work. Thanks again for saving this very cool printer for me that Cannon really should support and make a real Win8 driver for.

Collapse -
Driver Link
by Cmydjs / June 4, 2014 6:22 AM PDT

Do you have the Driver link... I cant get it to even download...

Collapse -
Canon support should employ you
by URZfan / July 4, 2014 8:28 PM PDT

They apparently don't know this. It worked for my Canon Selphy ES40 for Windows 8.1. The menu labels have changed a bit in Win 8.1. You have to click Update and Recovery and then Recovery, but otherwise it is all as described. And I didn't get any error messages.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ceppomatto / July 8, 2014 7:06 AM PDT

08 July 2014 Worked fine for a CP 800 in windows 8.1 x64
Just a question more: should we re-enable the driver signature after installed our Canon printer?
Best regards,
Marcello

Collapse -
Working with windows vista 64 drivers
by rakstys / June 10, 2013 8:09 AM PDT

Canon SELPHY ES20 working on Windows 8 (64) with Windows Vista (64) drivers.

Collapse -
Canon SELPHY ES20 working on Windows 8 (64)
by Raven-nl / November 15, 2013 6:29 AM PST

grin
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

I got mine Canon SELPHY ES20 working on Windows 8 (64) with the Windows 7 (64) drivers

Collapse -
hi
by hiyan911 / June 5, 2014 11:14 AM PDT

- download driver for window 7 from canon website

- click right mouse from file and select Troubleshoot compatibility - Troubleshoot program -> select first -> Window 7 -> test the program (printer setup)

now it work 100% Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.