Computer Help forum

Question

No wifi feature on labtop/notebook ?

by frjones12 / December 10, 2011 4:55 AM PST

I would like to purchase a laptop/notebook that does not support wifi feature. If there is any such computing product available, the information will be of much value to me. The product does not have to be a new version; I will accept an out-dated kind. I am mainly looking for something that does not have ready accessibility to the internet but supports the other features such as MS word and so forth.If you can help me, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No wifi feature on labtop/notebook ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No wifi feature on labtop/notebook ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This is very easy to accomodate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 4:59 AM PST

Almost all laptops I've seen (100% so far) have the wifi in a little card you can unplug and get what you want.

HOWEVER since these laptops have USB or card slots, support for wifi would still exist if some user had the USB wifi or PC-Card to plug in.

And if I take your request LITERALLY, I have to go back to 80286 laptops before they have no wifi support whatsoever.

Are you looking for a DOS or CP/M laptop?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Believe it will be difficult if not impossible to find a
by VAPCMD / December 10, 2011 8:31 AM PST

new laptop that doesn't have or support wi-fi.

The good news is you can easily and always disable the wi-fi feature.

Believe you would really miss the boat by basing your laptop buying on one that had no wi-fi capability.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
This'll work . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 10, 2011 9:07 PM PST

In the laptop, go into the BIOS and disable the wi-fi card and the USB ports (per Bob's remarks). Now create a strong BIOS password. Reboot. Now you have no wi-fi or any way to plug in any USB wireless adapter. And only you can get into the BIOS. At least not without getting into the laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?