HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No volume control, No audio

by Mikekinney / January 21, 2006 2:51 AM PST

System speaker is not working, no audio in any media device, no volume control. Music CDs will play sound because they pass through to the external speakers and cd player is working. Selecting Soundman or volume control does nothing.
I am running windows 98se I installed a new mainboard MIS 661fm3-v is has realtel AC'97 audio on board. During the installation I lost audio. DEVICE MANAGER shows drivers installed and working properly. In MULTIMEDIA PROPERTIES the drivers show up ok under the DEVICES TAB and the 'use features on this device' box is selected. They do not show up under the AUDIO TAB and the show volume control box is checked but grayed out.
Self test on DirectX9 says audio drivers not found.
I have removed and reinstalled multimedia and audio from add remove programs. I have removed and reinstalled the AC97 drivers. I have downloaded and inatalled the latest Realtek drivers.
How can MULITMEDIA show the drivers under the devices tab but not under the audio tab? What can I do about this?
I am looking at *.ini files but do not know what to look for.
Could this be a problem in user.dat? If so what to do?
Thanks
Mike
The more I learn the less I know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No volume control, No audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No volume control, No audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Exactly which MIS AC97 drivers did you use?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 3:02 AM PST

Supply a web link to MSI's web site so we can verify you got the right motherboard and such drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Driver
by Mikekinney / January 21, 2006 7:48 AM PST

My latest attempt is with WDM_A381.exe from Realtek which is the same as the one from MSI at msicomputer.com board is part no G57-CB00852 / SIS661FX+964 ++ / SIS661FM3-V I have double and tripple checked to make sure I am using the correct driver. Since I have the same problem as with the driver on the install disk that came with the mainboard I do not think it is a driver version problem. I believe the driver is installed but something in windows is preventing or blocking access. A reminent from the past or a current corrupted file. I am very courious about how Multimedia Properties can show the driver on devices but not on audio? Also my system speaker and volume are inoperable. I think if I can fix one of these it will lead to the other. Conflict manager indicates no conflicts but that is never guaranteed. I am working about two feet over my head here so I appriciate your help very much.
Mike

Collapse -
Try only the one from MSI and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Driver

Current motherboard chipset drivers. Tell which chipset and chipset driver please.

It's one of these items.

Collapse -
look at inf files, not ini...
by reefurbb / January 21, 2006 8:53 PM PST

1. C:\windows\inf\other. Delete anything Realtek or AC97.
The hard way is to investigate what files got loaded with the MSI driver and remove them.
2. CDrom drives have no internal audio. It uses the PC audio, card or onboard.
3. tell more about multimedia-audio tab. Can you change "preferred device"? Can you checkmark "show volume control"?

Collapse -
Multimedia Properties
by Mikekinney / January 22, 2006 1:29 AM PST

Under control panel, multimedia. All of the data blocks in the audio and midi tabs are gray. In the devices tab 'audio devices' and 'mixer devices' show as Realtek AC'97 and working properly. Video tab and CD tab are working normaly. Volume control even works on CD tab.
Thanks
Mike

Collapse -
Audio tab
by Mikekinney / January 22, 2006 1:34 AM PST

Under 'audio tab' I was able to change the preferred device. The show volume control was gray. I had a 56k modem installed and it showed as an audio device. I deleted the moden to see if the conflict was there. The entire audio tab then went gray. I will dig into the inf. file
Thanks
Mike

Collapse -
You may have a....
by reefurbb / January 22, 2006 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: Audio tab

partially blown onboard audio...Realtek. If you remove the Realtek pieces under Device Manager, Sound-Video-Game Controllers, and reboot and let Windows reinstall the drivers, hopefully it will choose the best driver and you didn't previously load a wrong version.
And that may be why part of the sound works, for the CDrom drive(which works through the IDE ribbon), and nothing else.
Ultimate solution may be a cheap used sound card to add in.

Collapse -
Re: you may have ...
by Kees Bakker / January 23, 2006 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: You may have a....

Reefurb,

He may have. But I don't believe it. See my post below. I had just the same, and the hardware was OK after the clean reinstall of Windows, using the same drivers that didn't work installed over the existing version of Windows, even after cleaning Device Manager as good as I could. So it's "something else" in the registry, maybe.

A separate sound card could be an alternate solution for this poster, if he isn't able to reinstall all his software for lack of setup files. I hope so, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Kees

Collapse -
Hardware
by Mikekinney / January 23, 2006 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: you may have ...

I think I agree. The hardware is probably ok. I have a corrupted file or registry somewhere. Two problems 1) figuring out which file and 2) can I do anything about it. I may ultimately have to do a clean reinstall but I would sure like to know which file was bad first. I hate puzzles that I can't solve. Instructions on how to load the audio files have to be kept somewhere. i would think in the registry or a .dat file or an .ini file. I used windows find and deleted all if the setup.ini files I could find that mentioned Realtek or audio. But that did not work and the files were automaticly reinstalled by windows on reboot. I do not think I can do that with user.dat but if it is a possible source of the problem I will get an editor and see if changes can be made. If I screw it up then I will have to reinstall windows. Problem is I do not even know if that is a reasonable place to be looking or is I should be in the registry instead.
Mike

Collapse -
device manager
by Mikekinney / January 23, 2006 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: You may have a....

I have tried this several times to no avail. Even with the Realtek audio drivers removed I am unable to get the windows volume control to work for the system speaker. In fact the system speaker does not work after several windows remove and reinstalls. But it was worth another try.
Thanks
Mike

Collapse -
Re: no audiop
by Kees Bakker / January 21, 2006 3:20 AM PST

Mike,

I've had the same experience with a new motherboard. I deleted all I could think of of the old motherboard drivers, and still the new ones didn't work. The simple fix: delete all of \windows and \program files and reinstall Windows 98 from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Delete windows
by Mikekinney / January 21, 2006 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: no audiop

Thanks Kees
That is what I am trying to avoid. I have a lot of old programs that I no longer have install discs for that I would like to keep. Not sure how I could do that on a full reinstal. I believe this problem is caused by a conflict or a corrupt file somewhere. Tracking it down is proving to be elusive mostly because I do not know what all of the files do. Since my system speaker is no longer working and my volume control is gone I think those are the keys that will unlock this mystery.
Thanks Again
Mike

Collapse -
let's back up, I read wrong...
by reefurbb / January 23, 2006 10:13 PM PST

1.New MSI mobo? Do you need to install chipset drivers? A CD with mobo drivers should have come with the mobo. W98SE doesn't have mobo drivers for newer chipsets.
2. Different mobo with old Hdd load. Music CD played through speakers, not just CDrom drive audio output.
Again, inf files not ini. Registry won't help as it is a different mobo. Realtek drivers won't help if mobo drivers aren't right.
Kees may be right about fresh install of W98SE, if you won't try a cheap used or new audio card, but you still may need mobo chipset drivers.
3. Try not to mess with user.dat.
4. system speaker is onboard or on case. Speaker system is the external one. Did or do any of the Windows sounds work? (control panel-sounds)

Collapse -
back-up
by Mikekinney / January 24, 2006 10:12 AM PST

I originaly installed the drivers that came with the motherboard on CD. I had a couple of problems with the video but that turned out to be windows loading a universal display adaptor driver. The sis driver was installed at the same address so the problem was easily resolved in system properties by deleting the universal driver. I also somehow deleted or lost IE6 and could not reinstall it. That turned out to be a fault in the Earthlink taskbar file. Which I deleted and was then able to reinstall IE6 and recovered all of my IE data. The sound problem (surly caused by me while fixing these other things) has not been so easy to resolve. The system speaker is not working so I do not hear system sounds. Audio drivers appear to be installed and operational according to system properties. Further in multimedia under the drivers tab the Realtek AC97 audio drivers are reported to be installed and operational. Under the audio tab they are not listed at all. Very strange. Thinking a possible flaw in the install sequence on the new MIS CD I contacted MIS and was recommended their latest driver. Which I downloaded and tried. Turns out to be the same as the one I already have on the CD. And produced the same result. As a double check I contacted Realtek and they recommenced their latest install driver. Also turns out to be the same driver as the CD and produced the same result. Last night having an old 256m hard drive I installed it doing a format and clean windows install and the sound worked. So the hardware is ok. Music will play from a music CD when the Realtek drivers are installed but I have no volume control or mixer. They will not play without the Realtek drivers. There is no sound from mpeg or wav files etc at any time. So it seems I have a conflict which does not show up or a damaged file somewhere causing windows multimedia audio not to see my installed audio or sound drivers. I am thinking about doing a registry delete and rebuild from dos to see if that helps but have not tried this yet as I have never done it before. Yes I have tried uninstall and reinstall windows multimedia without success. Could it be that I did not get the chipset drivers installed correctly YES it could. If it is a clue. Now after I uninstall the Realtek drivers from my pc Realtec AC97 stops showing up on the install CD autorun setup page? Blank line-not there. If I install using a downloaded driver then it shows up on the CD autorun setup page again. I have no idea what that is all about. Perhaps the missing link?
Thanks
Mike

Collapse -
as Kees said...
by reefurbb / January 25, 2006 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: back-up

fresh install of Windows and then mobo driver CD, or buy a cheap (used?) sound card. DON't Delete registry without exporting it first, and that fix is a shot in the dark.
Sorry we can't be of more help.
CD may blank out driver option if it sees drivers already installed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.