TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

No video on Sony plasma??

by edweather / July 9, 2013 2:27 PM PDT

I have a 2001 Sony PFM-42B1 flat screen monitor. Its plasma display panel is set to 1024 x 1024. Input: RGB/YUV D-sub 15 pin. The original Direct TV Sony receiver is being obsolesced. Direct TV has replaced it. Connecting with an HDMI/VGA adapter fails to produce video. Assuming no problem with the cube/adapter is there any reason why it should not produce video? Thanks. Ed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No video on Sony plasma??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No video on Sony plasma??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
1024x1024 That's very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 12:30 AM PDT
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=PFM42B1&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab in the specs calls this out at

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PFM42B1.pdf

I skipped to page 48(GB) and see no support for any HD signals. So for all intent and according to what I read you have the classic old standard definition display.

I see no support for HDMI or digital signals so before you spend money on any convertors let's see if the DirectTV receiver number can be shared to see if it supports any signal this TV has.

-> I see this is one power hungry TV at 360 to 400 Watts. Most sets in this range today are under 100 Watts.
Bob
Collapse -
It will receive an HD signal
by edweather / July 10, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

Bob, On pg 9 (GB) in the description of the input, it says it will receive an analog HD signal. Guess we will have to use the component outputs on the receiver. We had HD programming on this display a long time ago back in 2001. That's the reason we bought the plasma. Thanks again.

Collapse -
In the USA there is NO 1024 HD standard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 6:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
You are probably right.
by edweather / July 10, 2013 9:19 AM PDT

Well, we'll give it a try anyway. The old plasma doesn't really owe us anything and has performed well since 2001. The price on the new ones has come down amazingly since we bought it. Have a bit of an emotional attachment to this one and just want to play out the string until we're sure it's time to buy another. Definitely appreciate all your help. Ed.

Collapse -
Good to read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

Worth trying but don't waste time or money on any HDMI to analog cables or convertors. There are unscrupulous folk selling cables that look like what you need but are non-functional. You laugh or cry as they tell folk they work if you install the right drivers.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
hmmmm
by robyn261 / July 9, 2013 2:38 PM PDT

I have no idea, but I hope someone here does.

Collapse -
Answer
The important thing you have to look at is...
by Oldartq / July 9, 2013 6:25 PM PDT

what's coming out of the source...and to make sure the monitor will support that. 1024x1024 doesn't seem right, the spec. I see is about 850x480 with a refresh rate of 60hz. Are you trying to use the monitor for a computer and what adapter are we talking about? I am think instead of the adapter, maybe we should think about getting a new video card with dvi-d/hdmi output instead.

Collapse -
more info
by edweather / July 10, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

The 1024 x 1024 is the default setting on the sony plasma. We are still using it for a television. The new dircetv box has an hdmi output, and I thought we could just get an hdmi to 15 pin vga adapter, but NO GO. IT won't work. So I did a little more research last night, and what might work is a 15 pin vga to a red, green, blue component cable.

Collapse -
I think
by samkh / July 10, 2013 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

the manual says every input has to be analog, even for HD signals. You can't use a dumb HDMI-VGA cable. Something has to convert the digital HDMI to analog VGA for it to work. If there are component outputs on the DirectTV box, use them instead.

Collapse -
sounds good
by edweather / July 10, 2013 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I think

Yeah, you are right. I was trying to feed a digital signal to the 15 pin analog input. Our next step is to use the component outputs to feed the 15 pin input. If we used the S-Video feed from the receiver to the plasma, would an HD signal feed through the S-Video cable? Thanks. Ed.

Collapse -
S-video can only do SD
by samkh / July 10, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds good
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!