Samsung forum

Question

No video on Samsung PN51D440A5DXZA TV

by DTros / June 10, 2014 1:23 AM PDT

My Samsung 2011 Plasma TV Model #PN51D440A5DXZA has no picture but does have sound. It was working fine prior to installing the Chromecast device.
I installed Chromecast on the HDMI 2 input and used the USB port on the side of the TV. Chromecast was working fine then shortly after, the TV screen went black and video never came back on the TV. I removed the Chromecast device and reset the TV to factory settings but no video. I tried using the other inputs on the TV but still have the same issue - no video but do have audio.
I worked this through the Chromecast forum but no luck in getting the TV video back in operation.
I also opened a support case with Samsung but they referred me to a local service center so I wanted to check with this forum to see if any of you had some ideas or could let me know which order of the internal TV circuit boards I could start to replace.
Many Thanks, David.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No video on Samsung PN51D440A5DXZA TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No video on Samsung PN51D440A5DXZA TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You did the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 1:34 AM PDT

My bet is that a tech will have to diagnose it next.

Can you reveal if any on screen menu shows up?
Bob

Collapse -
No Video Reply
by DTros / June 10, 2014 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: You did the usual.

Hi Bob,
There's no on screen display at all. The HDMI port did switch back to HDMI 1 input as I can hear the audio from the Dish Network channel but no video.
Br / David.

Collapse -
So it showed HDMI 1 on screen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: No Video Reply

If it's dead be aware a tech must see it unless you are TV/electronics tech/engineer. I design electronics so I'm well aware of the lethal voltages inside so with a stern warning I suggest you grab this PDF.
http://smarthelpcenter.com/manuals/indexed/PN51D440A5DXZA_Fast%20Track.pdf

That's quite a find and unusual to find on the web so it's GOLD. But then again I can't know if you know about working with lethal voltages or which end of a solder iron to pick up.
Bob

Collapse -
No Video - HDMI 1
by DTros / June 10, 2014 3:12 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
There was no video on the screen from the HDMI 1 input - there was only audio.
Thanks for the link to that document. I am somewhat familiar with electronic circuits - haven't designed any in a long time and used to work on TVs' (back in the vacuum tube days).
I was hoping that someone might have seen this before and could tell me which board(s) is the most likely suspect.
Br / David.

Collapse -
I guess I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: No Video - HDMI 1

But first, such failures are too numerous and often the owner has two choices. Repair or replace so there is no question others have seen this.

However I had hope to read you saw "HDMI 1" text flash on the screen but without the video from the input. If any menu/text showed I have a procedure to try but no reason to do that now.

Finally, I would never guess which board without measuring the voltages noted in the document I shared. Not one tech I know would either.
Bob

Collapse -
Is there a command line on this TV?
by James Denison / June 10, 2014 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: No Video - HDMI 1

If so, enter xrandr and see if you get any information output. If so, then you might be able to get help for this from a Linux community.

Collapse -
Re: command line
by DTros / June 11, 2014 2:15 AM PDT

Hello James,
I have not run across anything regarding command line access.
Br / David.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.