Desktops forum

General discussion

No video on a seemingly good system!

OK heres my prob. I recently had a HD crash, and when I replaced it I added a new cooler to my video card (ATI 9800 Pro) and a new CPU fan (AMD XP 2600) and went and bought a new HD (seagate ultra-ata 40gb.) to have while the old 80gb. is being replaced. Well now I am unable to get anything besides spinning fans. My HD spins up and video card fans turn but nothing on monitor! Ive tried my Video Card in a friends system and it runs great, along with my RAM (crucial 512 times 2), and processor works fine in his as well. Ive switched between two motherboards (an ASUS A7V600-X, and a Gigabyte not sure model # but def. supports all my hardware) and get the same problem. I also see no HD activity on my towers HD LED, but I hear it spinning. We also tested my monitor (NEC 1980-sxi) and its fine as well. So the only thing that has not been switched and matched is now my power supply. Do any of you think I could get all the signs of normal power yet have a problem with my PS? Ive tried pretty much everything else I think. Any suggestions would help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No video on a seemingly good system!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No video on a seemingly good system!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes, could be your power supply

In reply to: No video on a seemingly good system!

what wattage is it? you will probably have to buy a new one, i suggest 400w+ from antec, coolermaster,enermax, or ocz.

konny

Collapse -
Hmmm

In reply to: yes, could be your power supply

I have a cheapo 425 watt supply right now that came with case. It does seem that its just not switching on video and maybe the processor isnt "waking up" either. And yes I have tried what those minimum boot specs. suggest. Maybe when I added my new fans and kept the chassis fan and another blower intact I fried some inner workings that make some power available yet will not let me boot properly. Guess Ill take back the Sempron 3000 I bought last night to trouble shoot and get a decent PS. Ill let you guys know tomorrow how its goes.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yeah you shouldnt cheap on your power supply

In reply to: Hmmm

Collapse -
Doh

In reply to: (NT) yeah you shouldnt cheap on your power supply

Well I went and got a good Raidmax PS and it did squat. So i sought out professional help finally, coulda just upgraded to a socket 939 and an FX for what ive spent so far damn it.

Collapse -
check here

Collapse -
this sounds like...

a classic motherboard failure..especially if it won't even post. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we seem to have gotten stuck on the power supply.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
i agree

In reply to: this sounds like...

Its def my board, looking for a good one right now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and life goes on....

In reply to: i agree

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!