Computer Help forum

Question

No video input?

I've been given a computer that won't work (shows the No Video Input message on the monitor screen). I'm guessing that means the graphics card has gone? There are no onboard graphics. The computer is a few years old, it's a MESH ELITE Q4 FX if that helps? Can anyone please advise me? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No video input?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No video input?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you opened up the case and looked?

In reply to: No video input?

If it was me, I'd install a new graphic card and see what happens.

Collapse -
but

In reply to: Have you opened up the case and looked?

the problem is, the graphics card is hard to source. I did find one for almost £100! This was built as a gaming machine, but I'm not bothered about games so would I be able to find an alternative graphics card to fit?

Collapse -
Answer
Or the video cable is unplugged.

I've lost count how many times one end or or the other is unplugged.

Collapse -
the

In reply to: Or the video cable is unplugged.

computer came to me as the tower only, so yes the video cable was plugged in properly when we tested it

Collapse -
OK, it's "THE DEAD PC."

In reply to: the

Google THE DEAD PC and follow along what others do to revive dead PCs.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: OK, it's "THE DEAD PC."

I will, thank you

Collapse -
Answer
What have you done?

Open case and remove video card and smash it with a hammer. You now need a new video card. The specs of that system will offer what it needs. Why play around figuring out if the video card even works, just get another card. If you plan to fix things expect swap parts to be part of repair or final fix. Since, you have no clue this maybe all over your head. the simple things as replacing the video card isn't that hard. What are the results with the PC case open what does the PC do, note the fans or LED, etc., Most answers all being forwarded to you has been posted for YouTube or googling similar for answers even if your brand PC isn't covered the repair results are very similar, you have to sort it out. So what sounds, LED lights, actions does the PC make when power is applied? Do you have basic volt meter? Got another PSU to try? Have you visited the MESH support website for that model# and check what it requires or any s/w for a later date to install such as drivers or what have you. I tend to use the Ubuntu Linux "liver version" bootable and check to see if it can do that. Generate one and check results, provided you get it to power-up. It allows some insight as to what maybe needed to fix the PC or narrow it down. Find a "flow chart" of repair procedures, that may help or allow you again what could be a problem area. Good luck and come back with results what you've done.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.