Mac OS forum

General discussion

No Video Chat iMac 10.5.8 but Video Chat OK FW10.4.11

by setharp / May 11, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

My iMac C2Duo 20" gets error messages when attempting a Video Chat in 10.5.8 with iChat 4.0.8. If I boot up from FW drive using 10.4.11 everything works.

When I initiate a Video Chat, after a while I get a pop up "There was a communication error during your chat. (recipient) cancelled the connection."

When I ACCEPT a Video Chat invite, I get a pop up "There was a communication error during your chat. Did not receive a response from (initiator)."

I should mention that there is also a networking problem in 10.5.8 that disappears if I boot up from the FW drive with 10.4.11. The Internet Sharing will randomly stop working for no apparent reason. I'll be connected to interenet using iPhone 3GS or old iBook G4 running 10.5.8 and suddenly I'm "no longer connected to the internet". Sometimes stopping and restarting Internet Sharing solves it for a while, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will work for days, other times for minutes or quit overnight.

All help very appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Video Chat iMac 10.5.8 but Video Chat OK FW10.4.11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Video Chat iMac 10.5.8 but Video Chat OK FW10.4.11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why Internet Sharing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 10:02 PM PDT

the best, and most efficient, method of sharing an internet connection is with a router.

Preferably wireless so that the iPhone can use it easily.

May even solve your iChat problem

P

Collapse -
2 problems down but a new mystery appears
by setharp / May 13, 2010 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Internet Sharing

The router suggestions was right on. I hooked up my old Airport Extreme (POE) and the iChat Video Chat via AIM works just like in the old days. The intermittent loss of internet connection has also disappeared, or, should I say, changed radically. It is no longer intermittent. It now disconnects every time there is an incoming or outgoing phone call. ***? As soon as I hang up, the internet connection returns.

A cordless phone is sitting nearby. The Answering machine is there with the AIO printer plugged in for the fax. Bizarre. I'll investigate further as this is totally unexpected but if anyone has a simple fix, please advise.

Collapse -
Cordless phone causing disconnect
by setharp / May 13, 2010 7:46 AM PDT

It appears my 2.4 GHz ATT cordless phone system doesn't want to play with my Airport Extreme set up. Oh my. I wonder if I can change freq on the AE. Hmm.

Collapse -
(NT) Probably easier to change channels on the Phone
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 8:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Changed ABS channel to channel 6 & interference appears gone
by setharp / May 13, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

So far so good. Changed ABS from Auto to Channel 1 and problem continued. Changed it to Channel 6 and it appears to have resolved the problem but I'll try it a bit longer before saying so.

Collapse -
Good sleuthing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

You'll beat this yet. Happy

P

Collapse -
Situation resolved but still don't understand
by setharp / May 14, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Good sleuthing

Mrmacfixit: Your initial post to put in a router was a Godsend and it appears that "all's quiet on the western front". Video chat works. Internet connection is solid even when cordless phone used. I'm a happy camper. Thank you!

What bothers me is that I don't comprehend why it happened when I booted up from my computer using 10.5.8 and was not a problem if I booted up from my FW drive using a cloned copy of 10.4.11. I'm lucky enough to have the bucks for a wireless router and to have one sitting around, but it makes me crazy to not understand what exactly was causing the problem and to think that possibly I could just change a preference setting and make it work with Internet Sharing.

Right now I'm thinking "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but there's a side of me that says a better understanding of this would be beneficial in the future.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!