Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Upper/Lower filters - still an error

by snoopyloop / September 18, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

Hello everyone.

I've searched around the XP forums for advice about my problem, but haven't found one just like mine. So here it goes..

My CD drive stopped working properly (it had an error 31). My computer basically stopped reading my CD and DVD drives, and no disks can be read - even though they will are being spun. So I followed the advice given by Microsoft in their help forum. It was to delete the upper and lower filters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Expand Control-Class-{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

When I went to that folder I had no upper filter listed, but had a lower one, so I deleted it. (I did make a restoration point beforehand). Then I restarted my computer but now it will still not read either my CD or DVD drives. I can not find any advice further than just deleting these filters anywhere!

Does anyone have any clue what I could do to fix this problem? I would really appreciate any help.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, running Windows XP. (I'm not sure what other info would help here?) Thanks for any input!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Upper/Lower filters - still an error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Upper/Lower filters - still an error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you use the guided help at
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, I used that help.
by snoopyloop / September 18, 2008 1:03 PM PDT

I followed the link to Microsoft, I had it fix the problem automatically, and it said it completed it correctly. Then I went through the steps that you said afterwards.

I rebooted windows in safe mode and deleted the cd and dvd drives. Then I rebooted in normal mode, and windows found my cd drive, but not my dvd drive at all!

Also, the cd drive doesn't seem to read the cd I insert automatically. I have to go to My computer - click the cd drive - right click properties - go to hardware, then "populate the volumes" of the disc to read it.

I can put up with that, but do you have any idea how I can get the DVD Rom back??

Collapse -
Re: CD/DVD-troubles
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2008 6:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I used that help.

Your DVD-drive seems defective. A new one might very well work.

"populate the volumes". That's strange. All I have on the hardware tab of the properties of the CD-drive is the problem solver, no "populate". In google, I find a few references to 'populate the volumes', but most seem to be about a hard disk.

- Did you try the problem solver?
- What kind of CD is it: a retail music CD, a retail data CD (like a CD to install Windows or a game) or a CD you burned yourself (if so, what burning program)?

Kees

Collapse -
"but not my dvd drive at all!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I used that help.

Your post is a little light on the connections to the CD and DVD drive.

If this was my machine I'd test each drive ALONE on it's IDE cable jumpered PROPER for the cable type used. I'll skip any lesson in IDE cable technology and how 80 and 40 conductor cables change what choice we make on the jumpers.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.