Cameras forum

General discussion

No TIFF setting on DSLR

by MusicSue / January 19, 2006 2:35 PM PST

I'm interested in purchasing a Canon DSLR. I was initially interested in the 20D but noticed it didn't have a TIFF setting (only jpeg and RAW). I thought TIFF was important to have as it potentially provides the best resolution. I don't always want to have to post-edit my shots (in the case of RAW). Any comments on this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No TIFF setting on DSLR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No TIFF setting on DSLR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Raw provides both high resolution, and powerful image
by Kiddpeat / January 19, 2006 3:00 PM PST

development options.

Tiff does not produce higher resolution than either jpeg or raw. What it does, in contrast to jpeg, is to deliver an uncompressed image. If shooting at the highest quality jpeg settings, you should see no deterioration of the image. However, if you do edit it, you should always resave it as a tif. Never save a jpeg as a jpeg. That is where the problems start coming in.

I suspect the 20D offers jpeg rather than tif in the interest of speed. It maintains its highest burst rates when shooting in the jpeg format.

Collapse -
no TIFF setting on DSLR
by MusicSue / January 20, 2006 12:54 AM PST

But isn't the image compressed right off the bat (in the camera) with jpeg? If the camera had a TIFF setting no compression would take place (thus no loss of data) and you would get a higher quality image?

Collapse -
Yes, it is compressed immediately. The no compression
by Kiddpeat / January 20, 2006 7:06 AM PST

option on the 20D is raw which is far, far better than tif. The 20D can also simultaneously capture both the raw image and the jpeg. If all you are going to do is print the image, and you use the highest quality jpeg setting, you will not see any difference between a tif image and a jpeg image.

Collapse -
(NT) no TIFF setting on DSLR
by MusicSue / January 20, 2006 11:07 PM PST

I usually put my pictures through a quick edit (for sharpness, image size, some exposure and color adjustments). But not always. So, my thought was if you start with the highest quality shot (TIFF) you can edit it if you want but you don't have to (like with RAW) which always requires some image processing out of the camera).

Let me ask you something else. Do most DSLRs NOT have a TIFF setting?

Collapse -
DSLR and TIFF - Olympus E-500
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 11:17 PM PST
Collapse -
If you put your pictures back through a quick edit, then you
by Kiddpeat / January 21, 2006 12:54 AM PST

would bring in the raw image for that purpose. As I've said, it has FAR, FAR more power for post processing of the image than a tiff file. The tiff file freezes what the in camera processor has decided to do with the image. That includes things like exposure, saturation, shadow levels, brightness, etc.

I don't know if any DSLRs support tif, but most support a raw format. Raw is what the pros are using. The downside of raw is that each manufacturer has its own proprietary raw format. The Canon raw format is supported by a Photoshop plug-in, and the camera comes with a program which will process the images if you don't have Photoshop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?